General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

BCM question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 01:42 PM

BCM question

this might have been asked, sorry for this... but my fall edition went in for the outside temp sticking, several times but the service dept couldnt find codes or couldnt reinact, or recreate the problem....One day when it final stayed stuck, i was able to get it to the service dept while it was stuck, after checking, the service dept said that the bcm was bad and needed replaced, the service dept ordered the part... i have some questions......

1) What does the BCM control?
or what is its function?

2) And when the BCM is defective and or needs to be replaced, does a flash have to be done after a new one is installed?

3) Does the BCM effect gas mileage?

thanks........
Old 09-29-2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by HHR4JK
this might have been asked, sorry for this... but my fall edition went in for the outside temp sticking, several times but the service dept couldnt find codes or couldnt reinact, or recreate the problem....One day when it final stayed stuck, i was able to get it to the service dept while it was stuck, after checking, the service dept said that the bcm was bad and needed replaced, the service dept ordered the part... i have some questions......

1) What does the BCM control?
or what is its function?

BCM = Body Control Module. Controls things like lights, sound system and your temp.

2) And when the BCM is defective and or needs to be replaced, does a flash have to be done after a new one is installed?

Yes, it has to be flashed for your particular car and options.

3) Does the BCM effect gas mileage?

No. ECM controls those functions.

thanks........
You're welcome!
Old 09-29-2008, 01:49 PM

BCM is the body control module. It controls lights, sensors, etc and many other things non powertrain related.

Im pretty sure it has to be programmed but would not affect mileage.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:01 PM

thanks........... i will be glad when it comes in......... i keep thinkin i need a coat....... by lookin at the outside temp gauge. saying 64 when its actually 86 outside........

i didnt think it had anything to do with gas mileage, but i must of got some things confuse with something else that needed flash........ or just mis understood.....

I knew i could count on you guys to keep me straight......