General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Been awhile since my last visit here

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 09:27 AM

Been awhile since my last visit here

Thought I'd stop by and update everyone on my 2011 HHR.
It's been a great ride with 182k on the speed-meter. Here's a list of the repairs. 2 front wheel bearing, but only 1 went bad. The other was replaced just for peace of mind.
Yesterday the snow tires with wheels went back on ( Michigan) and the reset TPMS, the procedure worked great. It took a couple of tries but its working right. I replaced the front brakes this summer, rotors and pads and it stops very good. A battery 18 months ago, it was OEM so were the brakes. Replaced the stock stereo with a Sony that does BT/Pandora/Sirus XM/ CD etc, sounds great 4 new door speakers too. The "service airbag" light came on after a rain shower with the windows open. The next day after the seat dried out the light went off on its own. Changed the trans fluid when I bought it in 2014. Oil changes every 3500 miles with full synthetic and Wix filter. Air filter and spark plugs. Thats it, just basic maintenance. I can tell you that Michelin primacy tires are junk in the snow. I have Mastercraft Glacier Grip II for the winter. I bought it with 154k on it 4 years ago for $5400 or $5500. Did most of the service just after the purchase.
Cant say enough good things about it. My 2017 Silverado Z71 has a whooping 2700 miles on it as the HHR gets most of the shorts trips and everyday driving. My kids borrow it when their cars need fixin. I think we replaced a headlight bulb once and maybe a tail light bulb. Very happy with it!!!!!!

Last edited by Rocket Dawg; 11-12-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Awesome!! Enjoy the ride!
Old 11-10-2018, 05:53 PM

Welcome back. Thought I would lurk around too just to say hi. Still have my 2009 LS. No issues...
Old 11-10-2018, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Excellent!! Join in the conversations.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Cool..
Old 11-10-2018, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

Been a While

Been awhile since I've been back here. I have 127K on my 2009 LT and still in love with the car. I have replaced stabilizer bar links twice, camshaft position sensors twice and front wheel hubs because of ABS and traction control warning lights. Less than 600 miles since new hubs and lights came back on. Mechanic checked it out and thinks it may be because of the parts I used. Then the lights went out for 100 miles and now are back on. I am wondering if it might be a glitch in the sensor system. I hope to get to 200k.miles out of the little 2.2 power plant. Fun car to drive and IMO a super styled automobile.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:07 AM

Today I was watching those Sunday automotive shows on the Velocity channel. They changed out a serpentine belt and tensioner and it occurred to me that our car still has the OEM still in it. This week that will be changed out. The only down side to this car and I'm being very petty here, is the visibility on the short windshield and the front corner pillars are quite large. I'm 100% used to it now. I'm 6'3" so seeing a traffic light has me stopping back another 20 feet or so. What I do like is that its easy to get in and out of. We previously owned a 2009 Malibu ( great car btw) but hard to get in and out of. My head hit the roof and the door jamb area is closer towards the front of the car ( yes, its for safety) and a bit of a pain to maneuver around. My kid works at Belle tire and he had the front/rear end aligned and had the coolant system flushed. This car seems to have somewhat of a target on it. I've been run off the road 3 times from cars moving into the right lane which I am occupying. All on the same road. Is it my driving? No. Its he main road between a college and a major town. "Texting and tailgating" from those "highly educated" college kids, yeah,tomorrows leader??????? I drove a fire engine for over 30 years so I'm a defensive driver. Those kids are in a hurry to get to class and even a bigger hurry to get back home. A distant relative was a state trooper years ago, he did radar on this stretch of road. He wrote the same girl 3 mornings in a row for speeding. 20 plus MPH over each time!!! She accumulated over 12 point ( maximum BTW) On the second day he suggested she set her alarm clock 30 minutes earlier. She didnt and lost her license.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:13 PM

Hey Rocket Dawg
I looked online at Belle tire in Traverse City for snow tires, but decided to let my daughter try her new M&S tires to see how she does in the snow. Totaled almost $1k with tires and rims and them storing the other set.
She's got snow on the ground with snow in the forecast all next week. She has no need to go out of town though.
Being from S Florida, she's never driven in the snow before.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:26 AM

First time drivers in snow should pretend there is an uncovered bowl of punch in the back seat. Sounds dumb but it works. The icy spots are where everyone hits their brakes, at stop signs and traffic lights until the car rot is applied to the road (SALT). I bought a second set of steel wheels and new TPMS for the wheels. We run the hub caps and they fit fine on the new wheels. Cant remember how much I paid but there is a thread about it on this site.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/tire...r-60053/page2/

Last edited by Oldblue; 11-12-2018 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Housekeeping
Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

When I was first driving (100 yrs ago), we would go to empty shopping centers after hours & practice doing slides. The importance of this was learning how to counter-steer & etc.
Back then it was just for the fun of it..But one remembers how vehicles handle doing stuff like that.

Quick Reply: Been awhile since my last visit here