General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Bicycle Rack. Give me your opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:09 PM

Bicycle Rack. Give me your opinions please

We want a bike rack for the HHR. I'm looking at this:

http://www.target.com/Bell-Locking-T...e=1&rh=&page=1

I have an SS, so it's got the spoiler thing. I also have roof racks, but any kind of roof top mounting would be difficult for the wife and kids, since they go biking without me sometimes.

So, if you can see any reason this would be all wrong, then chime in.
Big thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:22 PM

The strap thingys look a little weak. i would opt for one that mounts to a reciever style hitch, frame mounted and more secure.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:51 PM

Agree with the hitch setup. Also recommend this rack (http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=4411), don't have to worry about non standard shaped frames, such as female downbar. Smaller kids frames can be inside incase of a full load (more than two).
Old 06-20-2008, 07:02 PM

Unfortunately guys. SS's aren't allowed to tow, so no hitch.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:30 PM

Doesnt mean you cant put a frame mounted Hitch to Carry things..... remember the body panels on the HHR are weak metal, so all the weight on the bottom bar may bend the bottom of the gate.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by JimZ_HHR
Doesnt mean you cant put a frame mounted Hitch to Carry things..... remember the body panels on the HHR are weak metal, so all the weight on the bottom bar may bend the bottom of the gate.

Even if the metal was strong enough with that kind of bike mount unless you strap it correctly/carefully you're going wear the down the paint where the padded bar contacts - just through the motion of the car oscillating on a road surface.

I like Target but in this case don't go Target cheap spend some money get a trailer hitch mount or look into a yakima/thule adaptable mount that's compatible with your roof racks. Treat your ride right.

One more word of advice. If you get the roof rack mounts and have a garage don't forget that the bikes are on the roof rack before you drive into the garage I did that twice with a Thule mount on an 81 Camaro it was embarassing ...because the neighbors saw it happen and painful/costly because what it did to the bike garage door and roof gutters on the car
Old 06-20-2008, 08:13 PM

I Would Mount A Trailer Hitch And Get A Rack From Performance.com. The Hitch Will Not Hurt Your Car Even If It Is An Ss Or Has A Manual Tranny. It Is So Easy For You Or Your Wife To Mount The Rack And Put The Bikes On. I Have Used The Rack Your Thinking Of And I Can Tell You They Are A Pita To Put On And Take Off, Not To Mention Store. They Also Will At The Least Scratch Up Your Ride.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:42 PM

Also with a receiver style hitch there are other accessories that can plug in to it. I`ve seen luggage carriers,grills,etc. Just pull the pin and swap.

With the cheaper Target rack one good scratch and you just ate up any money you thought you saved.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:06 PM

Yup, I agree that this strap on type just isn't such a great idea... I had more problems with them coming loose and scuffing paint. Years ago I actually had the buckles break on one sending the bikes sliding down the freeway in a spin! It wasn't pretty!

I am going to mount a hitch on my SS eventually for my SARIS reciever type bike rack. It works great on my Tahoe!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:29 PM

I used the strap carrier to take my son's bike to college on several trips with no damage. What's nice is it will easily fit on any car and can be quickly moved from one to another.

But, it you're going to put several bikes on there, the hitch carrier is probably better. I used a Thule 4-bike carrier on the back of my minivan and it worked great!

Quick Reply: Bicycle Rack. Give me your opinions please