General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Bizarre 😳

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:31 PM

Bizarre 😳

I have a 2009 HHR. It is my sons car and I am in the process of changing the front brakes after he told me they started grinding. Started with the passenger side and they didn’t look bad at all. Figured I would run into a caliper problem on the driver side. This is where it gets weird. I pull the tire and the caliper off and notice the inside pad is GONE!! The way it is designed, I can’t think of any possible physical way that the pad could have come out. Anyone ever seen this?
Old 10-30-2018, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, if worn enough the pad can drop out, it’s noisey but it happens
Old 10-30-2018, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome, They musta been very ready for replacement, they started removing themselves.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:59 PM
Banned

yep seen it to the point the piston was half gone and he said he did not hear anything wth ,,,, lol but yes its happens ,,, take care 260 hhrs iv seen a fee things
Old 10-30-2018, 10:18 PM
Technical Moderator

I saw a Chevy truck that had worn through the rotor, the only thing you could see was the vent fins on one side. The guy didn't complain until he heard the grating a long time after the grinding.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Old 10-31-2018, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I saw a Chevy truck that had worn through the rotor, the only thing you could see was the vent fins on one side. The guy didn't complain until he heard the grating a long time after the grinding.
Saw and repaired a Ford when I had my shop. The customer said the same thing, luckily the person didn't get hurt or hurt someone else.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:28 PM

I have worked on many disk brakes that had shucked off one the other and sometimes both brake pads. Usually just the lining but sometimes the whole steel part and all.

When I first started working at my pal Arnie's shop a customer brought in his 3 week old Ford pickup truck to try and figure out why his drivers side front wheel would lock up when he would brake the truck. Yes, the whole outer part of the disk was worn out/off and it had to be replaced. I checked the caliper and it seemed fine so I did not replace it.

Once the job was done I gave him the bad parts and he took them to the Ford garage where he bought the truck along with the bill and they said since it was fixed {for less than they would have charged} he could just go on his way. Back then the warrantee did not cover brakes at all even on a 3 week old truck.

He owned the truck for around 10 tears and it had several more sets of brake pads installed but it did not grind away the disk again.