General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Blind spots

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:19 AM

Question Blind spots

I am a owner for about 10 months now, I'm not tall but the mirror is too low in fact when you come to a four way stop the car on the right is hidden because of the mirror. Also the post on either side of the front window obscure any pedestrian from either side. Anyone else have the same problem?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:30 AM

Yup!

The mirroe is on a arm with two pivot points. You can raise it and then still adjust it to see out the back. You should be able to raise it at least an inch.
If you have trouble seeing stop lights, check these out; http://thehhrstore.com/Merchandise.html
Old 09-14-2007, 06:53 AM

to the forum
Old 09-14-2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by BUtchk
Also the post on either side of the front window obscure any pedestrian from either side. Anyone else have the same problem?
Oh yeah.

First week a had my HHR I nearly ran someone over because I couldn't see them due to the size of the A pillar.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:56 AM

I don't really have that much trouble with them... I'm paranoid anyway, so I crane my neck every which way before I make a move

The only thing I'm really extra careful with is changing lanes... I've almost hit a couple people while changing lanes before, so now I'm very cautious...
Old 09-14-2007, 09:20 AM

my pillar posts are a problem i can never see anyone when im "parking lot pimpin" walking out in front of me. then they look at me like im tryin to hit em lol
Old 09-14-2007, 09:24 AM

I have problems in the front on streets that intersect other streets at an angle. I've had cars come out of nowhere before and it's scary. The front windshield frame would block them from my view. But, I don't think it's any worse than in other cars. Since there are so many elderly drivers and they teach teenagers to drive in parking lots in Florida, I've learned to be a very defensive drive. I always take two or three looks before I proceed. I do wish all cars came with a wide-angle rearview mirror. That might get rid of some of the blindspots.

It takes a while to adjust to the HHR but once you do, you'll really love it!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:30 AM

The A pillars are too wide. I think that the combination of more upright windsheild and wide A pillar really makes it difficult to see certain things (pedestrians in parking lots). I have to remind myself to actually move my noggin to get a better view. I had a car "come out of nowhere" on me making a left onto a four lane road the first week that I owned the car. Scared the crap out of me.

If Chevy were to extend the front window more towards the front corner of the door it would help a bit with the blind spots. Or better yet, anyone remember those little wing windows that used to be on cars back in the day? They were great for cooler days or just channeling a blast of air right at the driver. Those would look cool on an HHR IMHO.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:10 AM

I love those wing windows. Wish we could have them again.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:23 AM

I had them Wing windows on my 1st car ~ 57 ford and loved them during the winter.

Quick Reply: Blind spots