General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Brake goof

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 09:09 AM

Brake goof

Ok, trying to figure out what to do.....
I replaced all the brake hardware on both wheels ( Brackets, Calipers, Pads, Rotors ) and flushed the lines.....
It fixed all the shimmy issues and the car drives great, stops true ( no pulling or wandering with hands off wheel during easy and hard stops )
The last couple days all the sudden it feels like the ABS kicks in but no lights or anything on the dash???? It is the front drivers side doing this.

Something that has bothered me is this....
When I installed the parts, I mounted the new calipers before disconnecting the lines to swap over. I left the tiny soft plugs in the calipers until I was ready to do the lines so no dirt would get into the new calipers during install so they would be on the back side unseen. They are small and super soft little plugs that could have easily pushed in... ( I think you already see where this is going )
So I think, when I disconnected the line and installed it on the back of the caliper blindly that the little plug got pushed inside with the banjo? As I collected everything I couldnt find the plug for the drivers side job?
but the calipers bled fine, work fine.... but now with this little random issue ( its done it twice since installed ) its bothering me because that " what if" is stuck in my head that it got pushed in, but there was no issues starting the screw for the banjo and all??????

So Im debating pulling that caliper to see if it got pushed into the body, so my question is, How? do I push the piston out to look for it then put back together? any secrets to doing this as I dont want to damage the caliper ...and never took a caliper apart before, . just for my peace of mind, because if that isnt the issue, Im thinking that hub has decided to take a crap since, but there was no issues with braking other than that shimmy which is now gone.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Remove the banjo bolt, then look to see if that plug is there, frankly I doubt it, as you would have had issues bleeding that caliper.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Remove the banjo bolt, then look to see if that plug is there, frankly I doubt it, as you would have had issues bleeding that caliper.
It is super tiny and super soft , hollow plug... Im actually amazed they use these since mine were pushed in from shipping, I removed them and barely put them in until mounted but I think I forgot to remove this one as I cant find it .... the lightest pressur would have pushed it in but surprised I didnt feel it ( again it was super soft ) so Im wondering if its inside the caliper, ? So, I want to check it to be safe, since I havent had any issues til all the sudden, like the ABS kicking in..... I just want to know how to get inside to check it if its not stuck in the banjo connection?
Old 09-25-2020, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Remove that banjo bolt, use a c clamp to squeeze the piston in , maybe that plug will show up.
If not remove the boot off the caliper, place a price of wood between the caliper and the piston , if you have compressed air , use that to blow the piston out , be careful, a short burst should do it. After you retrieve the plug, wipe the piston clean and place it back in the caliper, push it into the cylinder, replace the boot, and reload the pads, reconnect the banjo bolt and brake hose, bleed that caliper.
That should do it

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...T-Removing-It/

and a video

Old 09-25-2020, 01:45 PM

Be aware that ain't as easy as it sounds!
Old 09-25-2020, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Be aware that ain't as easy as it sounds!
I agree... nothing is ever simple.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:47 PM

well the good news is, I didnt find that cap in either caliper BUT the passenger side fluid in the caliper was milky? Odd since I flushed the lines out before swapping the calipers and fresh fluid used to flush/bled the system... so possibly the caliper had something in it from factory or that was the little rubber plug I was looking for disintegrated under pressure/heat? anyways flushed and bled the system again... I have a firmer pedal than before, still stops true and straight.... so we will see how it does once I get on the road tomorrow. Spun it around the block and all seems well.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Keep us posted! And now you know it’s not in the caliper!
Old 09-26-2020, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Keep us posted! And now you know it’s not in the caliper!
True, but the gunky looking fluid baffles me since it was flushed and bled with fresh fluid when changed out?
popping out the pistons and cleaning everything on both sides was easy, didnt take long and was fairly simple..

Im thinking the ABS was kicking in due to whatever contaminants was in the passenger side? anyways, its done.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

I agree, the ABS didn't get all the old fluid out..

Quick Reply: Brake goof