General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Brakes squealling...fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:21 PM

Brakes squealling...fixed

Today, my mechanic removed the front wheels and checked out the front brakes. He took them apart. Now remember, this HHR was purchased brand new 12-14-07. The brakes started to "squeal" only after a couple of weeks.

Well guess what....everything on the front brakes (that should have some lubrication) was BONE DRY. He said they NEVER put any lubrication on any part. I say, "THANK YOU CHEVY....NOT!"

Yes, I probably could have taken it back to the dealership, but I just don't trust Chevy dealers. So I paid my honest mechanic of 21 years to lubricate the parts that should have been lubricated in the first place.

The brakes don't squeal anymore.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 PM

The only lube I can think of is the goop that goes on the back of the pad that contacts the piston in the caliper to keep them from squealing. All of the slide points are always kept clean, never lube those. " A little Dap with Do Ya".The Caliper bolts (pins) are the only other things which had better been coated with lube at the factory, never seen any that weren't.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
The only lube I can think of is the goop that goes on the back of the pad that contacts the piston in the caliper to keep them from squealing. All of the slide points are always kept clean, never lube those. " A little Dap with Do Ya". The Caliper bolts (pins) are the only other things which had better been coated with lube at the factory, never seen any that weren't.
The back of the pads were bone dry and the Caliper pins were bone dry! The factory missed this one completely!! (And if I had my camera, then you would have seen your first one that hadn't been coated!)
Old 02-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Banned

There's a reason they weren't lubricated. It isn't necessary with modern pads. Getting any kind of lubricant anywhere NEAR the friction surfaces is an extremely bad idea.

The HHR has noisy brakes. They usually quiet down around 20k. They aren't BAD brakes, just noisy on occasion. I'd rather live with a little squeal than have a mechanic who doesn't know what he's doing do the wrong thing.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

MWG2.....

Did you ever get a "born" date for your car? I'm thinking MAYBE it sat around at the dealer lot for a while.

But also, did you have the brake squeal from day one? If, so why didn't the dealer, in their new car prep, take care of the problem (rhetorical).

Not making excuses for GM. Just trying to understand the problem.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:40 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Did you ever get a "born" date for your car? I'm thinking MAYBE it sat around at the dealer lot for a while.
Found in the "Born on Date".........
Originally Posted by MWG2
The last six digits on my VIN are: 637238
Originally Posted by PITTSBURGH HHR
Your HHR build date is 6/11/07.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Snoopy
But also, did you have the brake squeal from day one?
From first post of this thread........
The brakes started to "squeal" only after a couple of weeks.

Last edited by jx3; 02-06-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
There's a reason they weren't lubricated. It isn't necessary with modern pads. Getting any kind of lubricant anywhere NEAR the friction surfaces is an extremely bad idea.
In my year & ½ tenure as a manager of an Auto Parts Underbody distribution manager, we were sent small packets of graphite-moly lube to be applied where any metal touches any surface of the "modern" brake pad. If the lubricant was not used, the would not honor the warranty for squealing pads.

Grease on the friction face is not good, but a thin film on any metal to metal contact area was advised.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty

The HHR has noisy brakes. They usually quiet down around 20k. They aren't BAD brakes, just noisy on occasion. I'd rather live with a little squeal than have a mechanic who doesn't know what he's doing do the wrong thing.
The mechanic does know what he is doing.

It wasn't a "little squeal"; it was very loud. And a Service Manager at the Chevy dealership (200 + miles away, that I have known for years) said that the back of the pad most likely needed lubrication. He said some of the HHRs come in without lubrication on the back of the brake pads.

And yes, I know you never lube near the friction surfaces. I used to race cars.

Thank you.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by jx3
Found in the "Born on Date".........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From first post of this thread........
That was Millpond's hhr build date. Mine is:

6/11/07

The car was purchased on 12-14-07.

Sat around for about six months before it found a loving home. :O)
Old 02-07-2008, 09:20 PM

And yes, I know you never lube near the friction surfaces. I used to race cars.

Thank you.

Could make for faster lap times, except you won't be able to stop to get your trophy

Quick Reply: Brakes squealling...fixed