General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

buying advice: what should I pay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 PM

buying advice: what should I pay?

I'm helping out a friend who wants to buy a 07 HHR LS. It must have automatic transmission and power windows/locks. What are people on this site actually paying for this vehicle with the above options? I am located in Akron, Ohio. They gave her a price quote of 14,000 after a 2,000 dollar rebate and claim they cant budge on this price. I know they'll budge, thats why I'm going with her to get the car, but any help I can get here is appreciated!

Thanks
Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 PM

Sounds about right price because an auto ls 07 would be around 17500 btw welcome. My advice is to get running boards especially in akron area because of all salt in winter could ruin rear quarter panel
Old 08-28-2007, 12:39 PM

Power windows and locks are standard on all HHR's. Automatic transmissions are ubiquitous. Hope you find one in a color you like!

WR
Old 08-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Banned

I paid that for a used LT2 with all options and 11k miles out the door

I think thats a good price for a new one although I would buy these cars used and let someone else take the initial hit. Maybe they even fixed some of the "issues" . (The previous owner of mine apparently did not. LOL)
Old 08-28-2007, 01:13 PM

Kingfrog:

I agree, I am big on buying cars that are 1 or 2 years old. I will never buy new again because of the huge depreciation on that first year. But my friend wants a new car, thats just how a lot of people are. Thank you all for the help, I'm actually surprised the quote she got was not half bad. I will try to offer them less than that of course since I"m sure the 08's are out or close to it.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:43 PM
jx3

Base price of LS w/ auto is about 17,500 so I guess 14K out the door is reasonable. However the 08s are already hitting the lots............
Old 08-28-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by wrzx2
Kingfrog:

I agree, I am big on buying cars that are 1 or 2 years old. I will never buy new again because of the huge depreciation on that first year. But my friend wants a new car, thats just how a lot of people are. Thank you all for the help, I'm actually surprised the quote she got was not half bad. I will try to offer them less than that of course since I"m sure the 08's are out or close to it.
Since the LS has the "essentials" standard your friend won't suffer as much depreciation as the new buyer who loads one up with a lot of expensive options. Those become less important as the car gets older. While some used buyers are looking for a loaded car, the majority are looking for price price price as long as it buys them the basics of good condition, reasonable mileage and a few things we take for granted these days like air conditioning, power steering/brakes/windows, tilt wheel, cruise control, cd stereo etc.

The HHR comes with those things so the new buyer who paid $14K is in much better shape when it comes time to sell than one who paid $20+K to get lots of pricey options.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:34 PM

We have a 2007 LS which we paid $15,500.00 out the door, and we thought that was a pretty good deal.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rrailwriter
We have a 2007 LS which we paid $15,500.00 out the door, and we thought that was a pretty good deal.
what was original msrp on your ride? im kinda in the same boat here not sure how much i should look into haggling with the dealer.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:40 AM

The best price I have found for a NEW HHR around here is about 14K for a base LS with the manual tranny. And at that, I would have to go to MN to get it. If you are looking at an LS with an auto for the same kind of $$, I would say your right on target with the price. The Auto is a $1000 option if I remember correctly.

I'm with Kingfrog on this one though. I NEVER buy new. The depreciation that first year is just too painful for me to accept. Instead, I get a nice loaded up car for the same money as a stripped down version. It just happens to have a few miles on it

I do respect and appreciate all of the people who buy NEW cars though. Without them, I wouldn't have any USED cars to choose from

Quick Reply: buying advice: what should I pay?