General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Can U adjust fog lights 2 come on when u turn on your lights?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:32 PM

Can U adjust fog lights 2 come on when u turn on your lights?

This might be a dumb question, but can you turn on the fog lights without always hitting the fog light switch when you turn on the lights?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:38 PM

To my knowledge, no. You have to push the button each time you want to use it.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:01 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by ClassicWalt
This might be a dumb question, but can you turn on the fog lights without always hitting the fog light switch when you turn on the lights?
Only if you modify the wiring.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:05 PM

All you would have to do is run a wire from the positive side of the foglight wiring harness to the positive on the headlight wiring harness and viola.....Foglights on with the headlights.....Regards
Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 AM

Be careful what you wish for. If you cross-wire the headlights and fog lights, you will get fog lights when the headlights are on like you want, but you willl also get headlights and all other nighttime lights when you push the button for fog lights (on the dash). also, the fog lights and the headlights are "smart" systems, at least partially under computer control. They flash on remote door locking, headlights stay on 20 seconds after key removal, lights flash on theft alarm, etc. I would be very careful about any wiring modifications on a modern computerized car. You can get some very confusing results. You might even let the smoke out of something........
Old 10-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fastED
Be careful what you wish for. If you cross-wire the headlights and fog lights, you will get fog lights when the headlights are on like you want, but you willl also get headlights and all other nighttime lights when you push the button for fog lights (on the dash). also, the fog lights and the headlights are "smart" systems, at least partially under computer control. They flash on remote door locking, headlights stay on 20 seconds after key removal, lights flash on theft alarm, etc. I would be very careful about any wiring modifications on a modern computerized car. You can get some very confusing results. You might even let the smoke out of something........
+1

Put a sticky on the steering wheel. "turn on fog lamps" Less expensive and safer.

I use the fog lamps as well but only for fog. They don't throw a whole lot of light on the road except in places where if you do see something it's far too late to avoid it.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:46 AM

I have been lead to believe headlights and fogs on at the same time is illegal. Check your local laws.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by GER42
I have been lead to believe headlights and fogs on at the same time is illegal. Check your local laws.

I believe that is the high beams and fog lights.......
Old 10-30-2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by GER42

Not in any US state I am aware of. It's illegal to have high beams on with fogs in some states, though. The stock wiring and programming has been designed to be compliant with the traffic laws, including turning on the headlamps when using the windshield wipers. That's not required in every state, but it is a pretty good idea.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by fastED

If you cross-wired, yes. If you disconnected the power input to the fogs and instead used the headlamp output, then no worries. (You also should diode isolate that to prevent any backfeed through the foglamp ground.)

OR, one could isolate with relays.

Just jumping into the harness with scotch-locks, pliers, and pieces of wire is almost never good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can U adjust fog lights 2 come on when u turn on your lights?