General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Can you help an old guy out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 PM

Talking Can you help an old guy out?

First of all this IS the place on the internet to find out cool things to do to your HHR. Now I have searche the forums for answers to these questions, however my results are either non conclusive or I am missing the bottom line "how to" on these issues. Please review them and see if you can help me out. Thanks in advance for the help.

2011 HHR 2LT

1- DIC problem - Entering Personalization Menu
After I do the following...
a. Turn the ignition on while the vehicle is stopped.
To avoid excessive drain on the battery, it is
recommended that the headlamps are turned off.
b. Press and hold the information and reset buttons
at the same time for one second, then release to
enter the personalization menu.
I get nothing. nadda zip. Now I know I must be doing something wrong. any ideas or help on that?

2- High Pitch Whine or Dog Whistle effect has taken place since I connected my iPhone via bt. My GPS was broadcasting on bt thought that might be it so now I have 0 items broadcasting bt yet the dog whistel whine is still there. A majority of people may not even hear it but it is very audible to me. Is it onstar perhaps?

3- I need to find the following items where I can just order them. Maybe a link from you guys that ebay a lot.
a. LED Brake lights and Backup lights. I need a simple plug and play solution.
b. best light bulb to replace factory ones, coming from an infinity I need the light.
c. best back sway bar
4- And finally when using a bt device or having the radio up real lound you can hear an electric whine, reminds me of my first car a 69 Buick Skylark, with my installed by me stereo. Well I would prefer in 2011 that a current year car has that handled. Anyone getting the "Auidiovox 1980's whine" too?

Thanks so much for any and all help!
Silver11
Old 07-14-2011, 12:13 AM

Oh yeah forgot 2 more important ones....

5-Does the GM tune work on the 2.4 engine? Nothing personal but i want to keep the warranty good.

6-Opinion, GM cold intake or K&N zldo opinion on back sway bars.

Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:34 AM

I may not be much help, but I will do my best. To enter the personalization menu, I tried pressing the info and reset buttons, holding them for a second then releasing, and it does not work. On mine, you simply press them and release them immediately, and it goes into the menu.

Best headlight bulbs to replace the factory would be a HID upgrade. You can find it easily on ebay. I am running the Sylvania Silverstars, and they are awesome. Much brighter than the factory bulbs.

Lastly, I too have a really annoying electrical whine when I have my MP3 player plugged into the charger. When I unplug it and use it on battery its fine, but plugged in it is there. I have tried to remedy, and had no luck. If you find a fix, let us know.

Hope you like your HHR, I know all of us on here love them.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Silver11
First of all this IS the place on the internet to find out cool things to do to your HHR. Yes you are in the right place !!! Now I have searche the forums for answers to these questions, however my results are either non conclusive or I am missing the bottom line "how to" on these issues. Please review them and see if you can help me out. Thanks in advance for the help.

2011 HHR 2LT

1- DIC problem - Entering Personalization Menu
After I do the following...
a. Turn the ignition on while the vehicle is stopped.
To avoid excessive drain on the battery, it is
recommended that the headlamps are turned off.
b. Press and hold the information and reset buttons
at the same time for one second, then release to
enter the personalization menu.
I get nothing. nadda zip. Now I know I must be doing something wrong. any ideas or help on that?

Try releasing both buttons as quick as possible, that should open the Personalization Menu for you.
I have to do this on mine..

c. best back sway bar Lot of options here, depending on your intended use. mild street = Progress Tech bar

Thanks so much for any and all help! This ought to be a start, I'm sure other members will chime in also..

GMPP CAI or K&N FIPK, well I have the GMPP CAI, so I'm slightly biased. But no warranty worries either. K&N FIPK is a nice set up also...
Silver11
Old 07-14-2011, 06:19 AM

5-Does the GM tune work on the 2.4 engine? Nothing personal but i want to keep the warranty good.

6-Opinion, GM cold intake or K&N zldo opinion on back sway bars.

5. GM doesn't have a tune for the 2.4. If you are thinking "stage 1" that's for the SS only

6. GMPP cold air intake. 'nuf said!

And the Progress tech rear swaybar works great with your setup.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Banned

For the DIC I hit info first, then the "reset" button and release simultaneously. hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 AM

Thanks for all the help! Yes I am in love with the new Silver toy! I actually like that it has some personality "quirks" here and there. Still looking for help on that alternator whine and a good place for LED back lights with backup.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Banned

Silver11: I would recommend IPCW Led tail lights. may be a bit pricey, but SO worth it. check them out at race and street. Maggie is amazing to deal with.

Alternator whine? if you bought it new then I'd recommend taking it back to the dealerand having them fix it under bumper2bumper
Old 07-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Premium Member

Maggie at race and street
Old 07-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Dear Silver11,

I would have to agree with Officer1151 about getting the vehicle into the dealership for the alternator situation. The dealership should be able to diagnose the issue and also provide you with the specific warranty information for this.

I am glad that there were so many members that were able to assist you with your other questions.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service