General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Car radio problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 03:08 PM

Car radio problem.

The door speakers quit working on my 07 HHR. Only the tweeters are working.

Radio problem or amplifier problem....
......does this stereo even HAVE an amplifier? If so, where?

I have a complete Alpine/Boston Acoustics sound system sitting in my wrecked Volkswagen that I could put in the HHR......should I just swap over all the aftermarket parts?

Alpine Bluetooth radio.
Alpine 6x9 speakers
Alpine amplifiers (three of them)
Alpine 10 inch subwoofer

Boston Acoustics 5x7 component set of speakers with crossover boxes
Boston Acoustics 5.25 component set of speakers with crossover boxes

I can buy a used factory radio for twenty dollars......the radio came out of a G6.....not sure what year G6......right around the same year as my 2007 HHR (I'm guessing)......anyhow, would the G6 radio work for me? Would the different radio fix the no-sound-coming-from-the-door-speaker-problem? The button layout is different than my HHR, but the overall physical dimentions of both radios are identical.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Technical Moderator

The speakers get wet from infiltration through the crappy window seals. Then then the coils corrode.

One of the top 5 faults here.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:18 AM

WOW!!!! Sorry about the image size!!!!!

The radio on top is from a 2007 Pontiac G6.........the radio on the bottom is currently in my 2007 HHR...........will the G6 radio work correctly in the HHR? The only speakers working on my car right now are the little tweeters up near the windshield. Is this problem with the radio or does the HHR have an auxilary radio amplifier to power the speakers?

Old 11-11-2017, 10:25 AM

Like donbrew said, this is almost always a speaker problem.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Like donbrew said, this is almost always a speaker problem.
Ok......today I will remove the door panels and test each speaker wire with good speakers.

The door speakers all quit working at the same time..........a few days ago, they began operating correctly for a few minutes and then back to just the window tweeters.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:56 PM

You can't just go to a junk yard and pull another radio from another HHR and have it work ya know.

You will have to use the right scanner to tell the computer that is OK to have the different radio in the car.

The local Chevy dealership charged me $65.00 just to try to make my replacement stereo work in the car. They FAILED but charged me anyway.

I never dreamed that it could be just the speakers, hell they never go bad.

You can search and find my whole sad stereo story
Old 11-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Technical Moderator

Are you saying that is a picture of the actual radio that is installed in your 2007 HHR?

If so it is not the OE radio, they did not have USB.

If the question is "will it fit" yes, double DIN is double DIN. That is why DIN makes specifications.

"Will it work" maybe if you can find a GM technician that knows how.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:02 AM

Well......went to the salvage yard.....found half an HHR......got the radio out of it and installed it into my HHR. The radio displayed "LOCKED" in the screen. Looks like I'm gonna be installing a complete aftermarket sound system in place of the factory radio system.

The speakers in my HHR are good. I tested them.

Got all four interior door handles from the junk yard HHR........the drivers handle was a replacement unit. It is DORMAN #80369

Got the entire drivers door and rear passenger door.........looks like I'll be getting rid of some dents on my DentedHHR.

All the cool parts on the junk yard HHR are gone......no chrome mirrors, no running boards, no roof rack, no chrome front grill.........the junky 2.2 ECHOTEC motor was still there.

I got the alternator, starter, a/c controls, blinker switch.....gonna go back today and see what else I can save from that HHR. Not much left of it.......the entire rear sheet metal is gone.

Happy my salvage yard finally got one of these HHR's available.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Are you saying that is a picture of the actual radio that is installed in your 2007 HHR?

If so it is not the OE radio, they did not have USB.

If the question is "will it fit" yes, double DIN is double DIN. That is why DIN makes specifications.
No, that image of the radio is one I found online......my HHR radio doesn't have the USB as depicted in the image, but everything else was identical.

Double DIN............The double DIN radios on the Pontiac G6 and other GM cars are all similar to the HHR's radio as far as electrical connections are concerned.........Thought I was gonna install a G6 radio into my HHR, but the mounts for the interior trim piece are different.......the tabs on the front sides of the radios are vehicle specific......different trim panels require mount tabs located in different locations surrounding the radio.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:33 PM
Technical Moderator

We told you about the radio, you need to have the radio mated to the BCM with a Tech2. They may need to be the same part number.,. that depends on the training the technician has retained.

If you install an after market radio you will need adapters for the security and chimes.

See the audio/video section https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/

Quick Reply: Car radio problem.