General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Cargo Area

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:17 AM

Cargo Area

I do not own a HHR (YET), but am just waiting for my current lease to run out. This will be in about six months so I am taking this time to do some real research on the HHR. I have already decided that the HHR will be my next car!!! My question is: how high is the cargo area from the floor to the inside of the roof? I am a road cyclist and would like to know this in advance if I can carrying my bike inside or outside the car. As it stands now, with my '05 Impala LS, I have to remove the front tire and fold down the rear seats and place my bike in the trunk.

Thanks,
Old 07-15-2008, 05:30 AM

The tailgate is 30 inches high, 40 inches wide, and the cargo area with the back seat folded down is 75 inches long.

I bought the HHR instead of a Honda or Scion XB to haul this:
Old 07-15-2008, 06:08 AM

That is a perfect bicycle to go with an HHR
Old 07-15-2008, 06:42 AM

A road bike will fit inside standing upright with the front wheel removed and the trunk floor (shelf) removed. Depending on the size of bike you may not have to lower your saddle. The interior height with the floor panel removed is 43-44". You can easily fit 2 bikes plus all your gear for a weekend race in the back including a cooler.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by kestrel0222
I do not own a HHR (YET), but am just waiting for my current lease to run out. This will be in about six months so I am taking this time to do some real research on the HHR.
With 6 months to go on your lease, you may be able to do what they call a pull ahead.

Since you already are leasing a GM vehicle and want another GM vehicle, you may be able to do this (get out of your current lease and get a new lease/loan) with no lease penalty. This is assuming you are leasing through GMAC.

When I took one of my older bikes the drop off location to donate to be sent to Africa, I simply took the front tire off and laid it down. Never thought to see if it would stand up. I think my Cannondale would probably stand up with the front tire taken off.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:13 AM

Take your bicycle to your friendly Chevrolet dealer, and ask a salesman to open one up. I'm betting they'd be happy to do it.
That way, you'll know if your bike fits.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:24 AM

The wheels on a road bike are larger and the seat is usually higher, so you may have to lower the bike seat for it to fit standing. My old bike has the straight top tube style frame and its tight, but will fit if you lean it over to get it in. For just one you could always fold the rear seats down and just lay it in there.
I can fit 3 mountain bikes and 3 people.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:46 AM

wow!

i was wondering what i was going to do with my bikes. I really don't want to put a hitch on, and those rear ones that just hang on there, seem to be looking for trouble.

Makes it hard if i want to put a ton of cargo in and bikes, but it is good to know they fit.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 AM

Ya, Im thinking of a roof bag for when I need cargo and bikes, Thule Quest on sale next week for $40.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:55 AM

where is it on sale at?

i have access to a huge thule roof rack, but i don't have anywhere to store it while not using it. My dad had it for his old mini van, but now it doesn't for the new one. It's so nice and big though, once i have a garage or something i'm stealing it.

anyone know how much the roof rack cross bars from GM costs?

Quick Reply: Cargo Area