General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

change the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:30 AM

I can guarantee you one thing, you will find as many suggestions and/or opinions as to when you should change your engine oil as you will find responses to your posting.

First of all, I suggest reading up on the functionality and theory of operation of the GMOLS system on GM vehicles.

Personally, after much research I have switched over to using 100% synthetic motor oils. I use what I believe to be the best possible oil filter available and follow the DIC to determine when it's time to change my engine oil.

Each of our driving habits is as unique as is the appropriate time to change our oil.

Personally, I’m a high mileage driver, I want to maximize the life of my engine and at the same time not throw good money and time away on needless oil changes.

In my situation, the GMOLS system has proven to provide the answer as to the appropriate time to change my oil.

I guess when in doubt “change it out”, it’s only money…………

Regards,

HHRANDY
Old 10-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HHRANDY
I can guarantee you one thing, you will find as many suggestions and/or opinions as to when you should change your engine oil as you will find responses to your posting.

First of all, I suggest reading up on the functionality and theory of operation of the GMOLS system on GM vehicles.

Personally, after much research I have switched over to using 100% synthetic motor oils. I use what I believe to be the best possible oil filter available and follow the DIC to determine when it's time to change my engine oil.

Each of our driving habits is as unique as is the appropriate time to change our oil.

Personally, I’m a high mileage driver, I want to maximize the life of my engine and at the same time not throw good money and time away on needless oil changes.

In my situation, the GMOLS system has proven to provide the answer as to the appropriate time to change my oil.

I guess when in doubt “change it out”, it’s only money…………

Regards,

HHRANDY
IMHO...the best advise given.

He did his research, knows what the manufacturers requirements are, knows the vehicles system, the vehicle requirements, the oil, filter, mileage spec.'s and made HIS choice. His last sentence statement is the absolute bottom line.....really, do what makes you comfortable....not what makes the dealer or someone else (which has also been stated by several members on this post, as well as other posts).

Everyone else is just giving their opinion (which is what a forum is about), but in a critical area such as this, I would want evidence with documentation.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:25 AM

I had a 2002 GMC ENVOY and I would still have it today if I would of seen the Black Ice. On the day of the Crash I had 169.000 mile on it and yes it ran like the day I purchased it. The Insurance Co had to total it out due the the Mileage, That is how I became a HHR owner. I have always changed my oil at 7000 mile, but then again It's all highways mile The Accident or crash as you call it was on Feb 18 2006 and I purchased my ENVOY on Aug 2002
I put on about 36 or 37000 miles a year. The HHR that I have now has 23000 on it and I have only had it since Feb 2006, So I guess I am doing pretty good. Good luck in what ever you do.