General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

CHP "Engine Experts" Crackdown

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by wysguy
Really sorry to rerail this thread, but isn't it a shame your nephew can't go after the cop for lost wages/expenses?
It's in California. Based on previous experiences with their court system......he PROBABLY could.....and win !!!
Old 10-31-2008, 12:17 PM

Cool

Gotta pipe in...Cough,cough.. I too am a Hot Rod, modify this and that , never leave anything stock, gear head. Thats why we locked our hoods down in the early dayz, CHP would always stop us for any mods...Ca probably has more vehicles per capita then any other state. They enforce gross polluters for a reason...SMOG! I know alot of you have never experienced Ca smog, Just picture fog, but posionous.Yeah enough said.

As far as this Ticket...I would have challanged the officer on his expertise on what he cited for and what proof he had as far as training on this matter. Most judges would side with the victim. example, there are illegal headers and there are street legal headers etc...and yes, there should be some kind of restitution to the victim for time lost when he wins his/her case. I am glad to here you won the case.

As far as living in CA. anytime you want a tour or places to go in CA, let me know when you are coming...year round sunshine, year round car/cycle events...Keep open minds...
Old 10-31-2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal00711

As far as living in CA. anytime you want a tour or places to go in CA, let me know when you are coming...year round sunshine, year round car/cycle events...Keep open minds...
Now I sailed a boat docked in San Diego to Catalina/Channel Islands over a week and a half Christmas break one year and it was cloudy rainy cold the entire time, so I don't buy the year round sunshine thing

I used my smiley face so I hope you know I am just kidding with you Kali-fornia guys/gals.

Believe me, I would love to take your weather over our Midwest winters any day, but I personally couldn't take all the regulation you have to live with.

It seems that all the new, cool automotive trends originate out there on the left coast, too bad you can't enjoy without being hassled.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
It's in California. Based on previous experiences with their court system......he PROBABLY could.....and win !!!
Absolutely...you can file a civil suit against a police officer......

I have cop friends who have been sued....

Cajun
Old 10-31-2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cajun
Absolutely...you can file a civil suit against a police officer......

I have cop friends who have been sued....

Cajun
Thanks for the thought(s), but really the last thing my nephew or I want to do is spend more time in court or dealing in any way with CHP. Besides which that would just be more taxpayer dollars down a rat hole.

Regarding comments about "we have always dealt with this" yes, true back in the 70's, I got hassled for low headlights, loud exhaust, etc, but in all those cases I knew I was illegal, and it was just part of the game. I don't know anyone that got hassled for legal cars just because of the way they looked.

Follow up on my nephew, he is selling that stupid Acura, riding the bus while he saves for a Cobalt/SS/TC which will be a neutral color if available, with black wheels, black calipers, and a Enterprise Rental Car decal prominently displayed (stealth?).
Old 11-01-2008, 06:56 AM

Heck while I was young and foolish I had a 70 Cuda' that was jacked up, loud, and fast. I never got pulled over. Reason why was my plate number. It was "MK 88". Any cop that saw that knew that I had someone in the registry or someone in a PD (it was the Police Chief of our town)that had ties to the same. Even out of state. I would get a cruiser come up behind me, fast. sit there for 20 sec. and then disappear as fast as he appeared.

Get a low number plate, it helps.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:59 PM

I live in the People's Republik of Kalifornia. It's getting harder and harder to do business in this state. Now with the Governator wanting to raise the sales tax (in LA County it would be 10.25%!!!!) I don't see why anyone would want to buy goods in-state.

Couple that with the problem we are having with our schools churning out the uneducated (I think we can be proud that only Mississippi does a poorer job than us) and that we just killed our livestock industry -- I'm not sure where we go from here.

The onerous emissions laws irk me to no end. For the level of HP I want to take my Mustang, it's going to be tough threading the needle of regulation to keep it street legal.

If the climate gets any tougher for us small business types then we may have to take our company and its 25 employees out of state.

Sorry for the rant -- I hate the revenue collection patrol out here in CA. They should put cops where they are useful, not checking up on a person's fuel gauge!

I just needed to vent about the business climate out here. It's getting bad folks.

All of that griping aside -- I LOVE living here. Great people (for the most part), we have a very diverse mix of people -- heck, we had more people here vote for Bush than did Texas. LOL. So we're not just for hippies!

I can meet all sorts of people here. People are generally very nice, there's a diverse mix of people, and the FOOD is what keeps me here in addition to the weather.

I can go between Beaches, Mountains, Deserts and Snow all within a 2.5 hour drive. Very few places on Earth can boast that.

Lots of great car gals and guys (while it's still legal to be one, lol), and the cruises are pure heaven. If the business climate were better, and the EPA Nazis left us alone, it would be heaven. Just like it once was!