General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Classic/Collector Car Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:31 PM

Anyone have any recommendations for Collector Car Insurance for an HHR SS? I've driven the car less than 400 miles this year [2018] and want to make a change in the amount of insurance I've been paying annually in the Houston area.

Any and all suggestions appreciated by anyone who presently has such insurance on their vehicle.

John Ryan aka ''Wheatgerm''
Old 01-21-2019, 10:35 PM
Technical Moderator

From my understanding; it needs to be 20 years old and you can only drive it to shows, etc.

Have you asked the appropriate authorities in Texas, your insurance agent the Motor vehicle dept?
Old 01-22-2019, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the reply Don, yes I have gone through my agent first and then out on my own, came up with some and one in particular that seemed like a great deal. It did however allow ''Collector'' value to cars of different ages including my own 2010 so I applied for a quote, it is general right now but more than likely ball park figures. Adjustments will be made if available especially since we're at $255.00 per year at this point as there is a lot of room for them between what I am paying now and the approximate quote.

I figured HHR.NET members might have a favorite company or input on this company, good or bad...

See the specifics down below the line.

Regards,

John Ryan

P.S. I did search the topic first before posting the message and nothing came up specific to Insurance..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Estimated Annual Premium for Quote: $255.00 Auto Garaged State: TX Policy CoveragesDescription Limit Premium
Operator Age: 70
Bodily Injury Liability: 100,000/300,000/50,000 $33.00
Uninsured Motorists: 100,000/300,000 $15.00
Under-insured Motorists: n/a $0.00
Uninsured Motorists Property Damage Limit: n/a $0.00
Underinsured Motorists Property Damage Deductible: n/a $0.00
Uninsured Motorists Property Damage Deductible: n/a $0.00
Personal Injury Protection Funeral Expense: n/a $0.00
Personal Injury Protection Medical Expense: n/a $0.00
Personal Injury Protection Work Loss: n/a $0.00
Medical Payments: 1,000 $2.00
Spare Parts: 2000.00 included
Collector Coverage: 50000.00 included
Pet Protection: 750 included
Travel Loss: 150/600 included
Auto Coverage
Auto #1 2010 Chevrolet HHR
VIN Number: Super Sport
Description Limit Premium
Comprehensive
Collision
Uninsured Motorists Property Damage
Personal Effects
Disaster Relocation
Towing and Emergency Expense
Declined
50/200
$121.00
$82.00
$0
Included
Included
Included

Vehicle Type Auto
Vehicle Modified? No
Annual Mileage Plan 1000 Miles
Value $15,000.00
Garage Zip 77471
Eligibility Questions
Are any of the vehicle(s) being quoted offered for sale or consignment?: No
Are any of the vehicle(s) being quoted the Applicant's daily use automobile or is the daily automobile greater than 20 years old?: No
Are the vehicles used primarily for car club activities, exhibitions, parades, and/or pleasure drives, or part of a private collection?: Yes
Do any of the vehicle(s) have any unrepaired or existing damage?: No
Has the applicant ever been convicted of a felony or had their license suspended, canceled, revoked, or barred within 36 months prior to the inception date of this policy?: No
When vehicles are not in use, are the they stored in a fully enclosed, locked garage?: Yes
This message was sent to you courtesy of the American Modern Insurance Group. If you have questions or want to proceed, e-mail policysales@amig.com

Estimated Annual Premium for Quote: $255.00

Auto Garaged State: TX

Policy Coverages

DescriptionLimitPremiumOperator Age:70Bodily Injury Liability:100,000/300,000/50,000$33.00Uninsured Motorists:100,000/300,000$15.00Under-insured Motorists:n/a$0.00Uninsured Motorists Property Damage Limit:n/a$0.00
Estimated Annual Premium for Quote: $255.00 Auto Garaged State: TX Policy CoveragesDescription Limit Premium
Operator Age: 70
Bodily Injury Liability: 100,000/300,000/50,000 $33.00
Uninsured Motorists: 100,000/300,000 $15.00
Under-insured Motorists: n/a $0.00
Underinsured Motorists Property Damage Deductible: n/a $0.00
Uninsured Motorists Property Damage Deductible: n/a $0.00
Personal Injury Protection Funeral Expense: n/a $0.00
Personal Injury Protection Medical Expense: n/a $0.00
Personal Injury Protection Work Loss: n/a $0.00
Medical Payments: 1,000 $2.00
Spare Parts: 2000.00 included
Collector Coverage: 50000.00 included
Pet Protection: 750 included
Travel Loss: 150/600 included
Auto Coverage
Auto #1 2010 Chevrolet HHR
VIN Number: Super Sport
Description Limit Premium
Comprehensive
Collision
Uninsured Motorists Property Damage
Personal Effects
Disaster Relocation
Towing and Emergency Expense
Declined
50/200

$0

Old 01-22-2019, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Check with Hagerty’s

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance

they might have something
Old 01-22-2019, 02:01 PM

Thank You ''Old Blue''... Since I have run this by my own insurance first and they had nothing I could use I went out and searched for myself and when somehow they received a ''Bid'' for my business via that portal I heard back from them today. Still nothing definite decided on this end but when they saw a Home Owner's policy and a Motor Cycle as well as 3 cars in the mix it caught their attention since I'm bundled with them and have been for years..

Now as someone out there searching I'm getting quotes from all of the insurances known to us all including some I never heard from too. I've got a month to figure this out and if it doesn't go my way I'll just take the SS off the road and let it stay parked and probably do some repairs caused by simply sitting and not being driven.

Again thank you for your input and the link to Hagerty.

Regards,
John Ryan
Old 01-22-2019, 03:30 PM

I have not had any luck with collector car ins. I have 4 collector cars insured by American Modern. I probably drive my 09 SS Panel 100 miles a year. They tell me at the end of the day it's a grocery getter! They just don't understand...

I have it and 4 others insured by USAA, and I play the "in storage game" I take it out of storage all summer ,then back in the fall and winter . I probably pay about $175 a year for it. The only bad thing is that it's not an Agreed Value.. Good luck ... John
Old 01-22-2019, 04:12 PM

The agreed value is the key thing. I have my 94 Impala SS insured with Haggerty and an agreed value. Had to send them a bunch of pictures but that's fine and they agreed to the value I wanted to insure it for.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2manyvans
I have not had any luck with collector car ins. I have 4 collector cars insured by American Modern. I probably drive my 09 SS Panel 100 miles a year. They tell me at the end of the day it's a grocery getter! They just don't understand...

I have it and 4 others insured by USAA, and I play the "in storage game" I take it out of storage all summer ,then back in the fall and winter . I probably pay about $175 a year for it. The only bad thing is that it's not an Agreed Value.. Good luck ... John
Thanks for the reply and information ''2manyvans'', I'm leaning toward American Modern so far and if nothing else comes my way I'll begin finalizing details with them, if we see Eye to Eye I'll probably go that route, if not I will probably take it off the road and fix all that might need attention and come back to fight another day...

Regards,
John Ryan
Old 01-22-2019, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the reply Dennis, I used the price they wanted when I purchased it to start with, I paid less but figured since it was a 2010 and less than a thousand were made by this time most of those are wrecked,or in poor shape, at least half probably but anyway if they need photos I'm OK with that too and I'd agree to a lot less if need be too..

Regards,

John Ryan
Old 01-23-2019, 07:43 AM

There are places that specialize in collectible car appraisals. Many years ago I restored a '68 Chevelle for my uncle. It was a 3 year project. When it was done the only way the insurance would give him a collectible car policy was if he had it appraised. That's the number they can agree on.

Quick Reply: Classic/Collector Car Insurance