General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by -md- HHR
No more than 250$ out here in northeast ohio.
Are you speaking from personal experience with your HHR or just what you think it should cost based on past experiences? Did you actually have your HHR's window replaced? I did and trust me the piece of PPG glass doesn't even list that low. The HHRs windshield cost more than your standard windshield because there is a special plactic frame that is attached all the way around the window. It has to be bought as one unit. I watched a couple people walk out of the shop with $250 - $300 dollar bills but because Chevy had to go with a non-standard front window I got screwed. If I remember correctly I paid somewhere around $575 after tax and all.

Last edited by captain howdy; 10-04-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 AM

I have achip and an estimate of $551.00, luckily mine didn't spider, just a bullseye...Some comprehensive or full glass coverages exist, but my policy doesn't cover it so when the bulleye does spider there will be my first big money mod...
Old 10-04-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
This Full Glass, Window, Veh., Coverage...

That’s called 100% Comprehensive on glass thru your Ins Company.

I just checked the paper work on my W/Shield Glass replacement dated 8-11-2006 and the price was $368.49
Old 10-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by captain howdy

Capt....

You are talking my language

Auto glass is a Bit**. GM forms some of the vehicles structural integrity around the windshield, even though it "floats" on sealant. As an example, think of placing a drinking glass in a vise and adding a little pressure, then hitting the glass with a hammer. It shatters must more readily and much easier. It also doesn't help the OEM glass is from a supplier whose quality is questionable.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:27 AM

$485 is our price on PPG windshields for the HHR installed ready to go. So alittle over $500 is not bad at all
Old 10-04-2006, 11:00 AM

I called the place that my work uses for our trucks, and many of our own vehicles. It was just quoted so maybe after they actually look into it..maybe it is more. From pass cases it has never cost anyone at my work more than 330 for a front window.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:01 PM

Call a few used car dealers in your area and find out who they use. I had one replaced in a tracker last year for $110 and they came to my house.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by scaleguy
I have achip and an estimate of $551.00, luckily mine didn't spider, just a bullseye...Some comprehensive or full glass coverages exist, but my policy doesn't cover it so when the bulleye does spider there will be my first big money mod...
Most small bullseyes or bruises or pecks are fixed before the problem escalates. Once fixed it is very hard to tell where the hit was. It used to be $10 for a fix but I think ICBC (our gov't vehicle insurer) will pay now to have it done, it saves them money in windshields in the long run. Its some kind of UV light sensitive hardening process, the "glue" is sucked in by a small vacuum system, takes about 20 minutes.
Oh... and our deductible for full glass coverage is $200
Old 10-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Hey guys...

Are you providing windshield replacement costs, for other vehicles, as a matter of interest or as a comparison.?

If it's for comparison....there is different kinds of glass, different manufacturers, antenna...no antenna, electronics... no electronics, shaded....not shaded, etc. etc. So it's not really "apples to apples".

For example, several years ago, GM used a metallic type glass on the windshield of certain vans (I think Ford used it on several vehicles also). That was/is a terribly expensive windshield to replace.....somewhere around $2000 retail.

My suggestion for replacement is to select the MANUFACTURER (some mentioned PPG, which is excellent, IMO)then get bids for the window that will fit your HHR. Any reputable auto glass installer should ask the necessary questions to replace the window correctly and professionally.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:46 AM
acm

i just got a quote for $575 canadian to replace it with ppg glass. doesnt seem too bad.

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield