General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Custom airhorn installations

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:43 PM

Custom airhorn installations

I'm sure many of us have come to the conclusion, that the stock, single tone FIAMM Horn that comes with the HHR isn't the most imposing sound on the road. Being one of those people, I've set out to correct that but have started a bit of an addiction. My 2006 LT has begun that long road of subtle modifications, and also the start of my addiction.

To date, I have installed one basic set of dual tone WOLO brand horns, modified to fit behind the grille, mounted to the radiator support. I've run the airlines to the compressor supplied with the kit (which is mounted to the car via an existing hole on the back of the radiator support) through existing holes in the unibody. (if anyone would like pictures of this install, please respond to the post, I am happy to show my work.)

The new horns gave a nice dual tone, and made the car a little more noticeable on the road. After a few weeks though, I realized it still didn't stand out enough, nor was it loud enough to satisfy my standard for "safety." As a result I've installed the WOLO brand BIG BOY in the stock mounting point for the original horn to augment the other set. This was done by extending the stock mounting bracket with an additional bracket to allow for the space needed to install the BIG BOY (nearly double what the stock FIAMM unit required) I now find that the car is not only adequately loud enough but for a total investment of $65.00 and a few hours of labor, the car now has a horn that sounds roughly reminiscent of a late 70's Ferrari, or Lamborghini.

This modification is only the start for my '06 LT lovingly referred to as Undertaker by my friends. There is much more to come for it, but I am now looking into TRAIN HORNS. I have my eye set on the Nathan Airchime K5LA, but am still in the process of trying to figure out a "stealthy" installation for the whole setup. If you've made it to the end of this without being bored out of your mind, and have any input, or questions...RESPOND BELOW!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Cool, not airhorns.
But I installed a matching set (3) of older Caddy honkers..
Older Delco-Remys.. Now that's a classy way to get someones attention !!!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:03 AM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=Train+Horn
Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Cool, not airhorns.
But I installed a matching set (3) of older Caddy honkers..
Older Delco-Remys.. Now that's a classy way to get someones attention !!!
You have intrigued me....*goes to E-bay*
Old 08-20-2012, 09:32 PM

I'm actually looking at installing the legit industry standard K5LA which will take a little bit more work than what you've got there. I used similar methods to install the WOLO system on my car, but I'm going to have to get creative, because the real K5LA is a big massive metal thing, not a plastic reproduction, and requires a minimum 15 gallon air tank, and high flow compressor. I may have to do some reconfiguration to get it to work because of how things are laid out in the car, but I will prevail.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:06 PM

Air Horns

Have to say I go with air horns. Don't leave home without 'em,especially on a bike. Sometimes loud pipes just aren't enough to get that moron to look up from their cell phone and I feel air horns fill the need. I have a set of Hornblaster Psychoblaster V2 that are destined for the HHR. They're obnoxious. In other words,perfect!
Billy,those are Edelbrock heads. The offset color kinda grew on me!
Attached Images   
Old 08-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by steelroy
Billy,those are Edelbrock heads. The offset color kinda grew on me!
Roy- Yes I see that, how do you like them ?

& your bike horns look like Howards' Horns..

I see you have the Kuryakin trim piece below. In Daytona the theft squad will make ya remove it, if they are in a bad mood.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:08 AM

Billy: I bought the bike with those heads,S&S Super B,Crane cam (of unknown grind),and Hooker 2-1. It was dyno'ed by the previous owner @ 76 HP. I changed to a Mikuni,2 1/4" open pipes and it still pulled like a beast. Can't wait to get that 120" Ultima in there!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by steelroy
Billy: I bought the bike with those heads,S&S Super B,Crane cam (of unknown grind),and Hooker 2-1. It was dyno'ed by the previous owner @ 76 HP. I changed to a Mikuni,2 1/4" open pipes and it still pulled like a beast. Can't wait to get that 120" Ultima in there!
Roy- ok, the Hooker 2 - 1 was a plus, it helps scavage the other cylinder & visa versa.

Super-B is great for Big inch or running alky.. It loves to squirt fuel..

The 120" should be a big power jump.

My 94 FLSTF is putting just over 100 hp on the ground.
Still 80", but using my headwork, select Woods cam, Dyna S ign, one of my # 3 CV carbs. modded Hooker step tuned pipes. etc.. She'll Bark..
Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 AM

This thread seems to have turned into a bike thread. Sounds like you two are Harley boys. When I'm not in my HHR I'm on a fully restored 1994 Gen III Honda Magna VF750c. I hate to pee in your cornflakes boys, but I've smoked EVERY Harley (including the ones that claim to be making 100 horse) I've come across off the line on a 20 year old V4.

That being said, under the unwritten rule of biker culture, I retain ample respect for Harley riders. The ones that ride them further than their local bar and back especially. Anyone who can put on 200+ miles in a day on any bike is deserving of the iron butt title.

Quick Reply: Custom airhorn installations