General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Dear Mr. Nesbitt

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:26 PM

Dear Mr. Nesbitt

Mr. Brian Nesbitt
General Motors
Lead Designer, HHR; PT Cruiser

Mr. Nesbitt,

When given the opportunity for a do over, I was wondering why you stuck with some things, improved some things, and didn't on others.
For Instance, why did you leave the window switches on the console? I know GM changed it for 2009, but it sucks for those of us who have older models, especially manual transmissions. What was the thought process into making the chop top look, but putting the door lock buttons in the perfect place to gouge my armpit when I use the ATM?
The HHR looks way cooler...did you think about a convertible for it as well? Why didn't the rear seats tumble and remove like the PT cruiser?
Finally, If you didn't do it, could you give me the name, address, and phone number of the %#@* guy who made the cup holders inaccessible when the armrests are down, in the way of the e-brake, and too big for most standard size drink containers?

What about the glove box that is too small to do much good, or the rear of the console that has all those weird cubbie holes but no real use?

I mean other than a few of these things I really like it.

Sincerely,

a 2007 HHR owner
Old 12-06-2008, 10:14 PM

You should be glad he waited a year to make some changes. Go to Chevy's website and build an HHR. It will show the price of an '08 compared to an '09. There's a big difference. I've seen it on other models also. No wonder they're not selling cars.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:47 AM

You may be suprised that note all of these questions were things he had any control over.

Many times they work with what they have and things are changed after they are done with their design due to cost and other factors.

As example the lock button may have only fit the door where it is and some of the parts inside were lifted from another GM car?

Where something fits and cost are two prime design factors. Part bin parts used on more than one car is also a large factor.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Banned

Two words: Bean Counters. This car should have been build on the bigger Epsilon platform to begin with. I think a Malibu-sized HHR would have been about perfect.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:23 AM

3amigos - why did you buy the HHR if you feel so strongly about the window control and door lock button issues?

I for one like the window control in the console - and I have the 5-speed as well. I rarely use the windows anyway, and I never cruise with my elbow out the window.

To each his own, I guess.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:19 PM

Smile

Am I the only happy with an HHR?
Old 12-07-2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by gravett1
I think every one is happy.

It is just the fact there has never been a perfect car unless you build one for yourself
Old 12-07-2008, 04:49 PM

I am very happy with my HHR but.........I want them to build my SS.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I think every one is happy.

It is just the fact there has never been a perfect car unless you build one for yourself
Even building it yourself doesn't help. I've built street rods for over 30 yrs(some from the ground up including the frame rails) and after you drive it, you always find something that you would have done differently.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by gravett1
Nope ... I'm happy (VERY HAPPY!) with my buggy. Window switches were minor, and was really only a matter or adjusting to the new position compared to what I was used to. Door lock button was an easy matter -- they're easily shortened and replace. Minor inconveniences these. I have nothing about this car that bugs me!

Quick Reply: Dear Mr. Nesbitt