General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Do I want to get this or that.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:02 PM

Do I want to get this or that.....

....Oh I will just get this.

I set out today to change my plugs and air filter. So yeterday, when buying the air filter I had considered a K&N drop in filter. Since it does not really add any performance for our cars from what I can gather on here and I only drive about 6k miles a year I decided against it and bought a normal paper filter. So just a few minutes ago I went to open up the air box after finishing the plugs and noticed a big huge hole in the box. The left molded in mounting tab ended up staying on the engine when I pulled the box off the engine . BUT I had found an ad on Craiglist the other day for the factory air box which included a K&N drop in filter. I called him and he still has it. He said he had to go to work now but would be home after 9pm. I was thinking OK I will most likely be up but my GF would be at work with her car so hmmm what to do. Then I asked if he lived out on the other side of Phoenix and it turns out he works 10 minutes away from me lol. So I get to go get it any time before 9pm . Looks like the powers that be wanted me to have one of those K&N's after all.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

They make a flow difference. I added one to the panel with a tune, I could feel a lot of difference. Great way to get one.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
They make a flow difference. I added one to the panel with a tune, I could feel a lot of difference. Great way to get one.
Did you add it before, in conjunction, or after the tune?

It is costing me almost as much as a brand new one costs but since I actually NEED the air box I guess I can consider it free LOL.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:38 PM

I am going to ask the seller if he replaced this with the CGS intake that was up for sale on CL a few weeks ago lol. I almost bought that one so if he did this will be even more funny.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

I did them the same day, I'm not happy with the trifecta tune on the SS, but it worked wonders on the 2.4, it retunes the tranny also, think I paid 170.00 for that, and 125.00 for the K&N here in the classifieds. It just sounded better with the box, the tune actually improved the performance. Still feels like it is broken for a while, after driving the SS..
Old 08-18-2013, 08:01 PM

So you did the FIPK then I am assuming. Bummer that you did both at the same time as that makes it hard to tell what each one, by itself, brought to the table. It would be very cool to know how much each one gave you.

It is kinda like me right now as I changed my spark plugs and the filter at the same time so if I had noticed any performance gains I would not know which one provided said gains. Not that it matters anyways since I did not notice any performance gains lol.

Now I did not drive it more then a 10 miles and I was pushing the throttle a lot more then I normally do but by the end of the drive I actually had a MPG increase of .1. But once again since I replaced 75k old plugs and an air filter that had more then 13k miles on it, I have no idea if the K&N had any part in that.

fwiw this is a 2.2l