General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Dont pump gas march 14th 2011 "gas out"

Old 03-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Banned

Dont pump gas march 14th 2011 "gas out"

Don't pump gas on March 14 2011. .In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in
Protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.50 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet
Network and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 14th, it would take
$2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil company’s
Pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on March
14th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for
at least one day.

If you agree (which I can’t see why you wouldn’t) resend this to all your
contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on March 14"
Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 AM

Not that I don't want to protest the higher prices ( I hate the higher prices just like everyone else, and don't fully get why it is more expensive) but I have do have a question. If all these people don't buy gas on the 14th, wouldn't they need to on the 15th plus those who needed gas on the 15th as well? So what good does it do? Won't the oil companies just make up the difference of what they "lost" on the 15th? Do you really think it will make a difference?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Banned

im just doing this to be nice. Saw on another forum haha. The oil companies will make the diff up but i guess it dropped last year you know.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 PM

So if you put the gas in your car on the day before or the day after wouldn't that negate the point of the protest?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:56 PM

I'm sick of seeing these on Facebook. Like Doctor Who said, you'd just get gas before or after that day, so they'd still make all the profits! The only way for it to "work" would be if you didn't use gas for one day. But even that would take so many people since the companies are worldwide, they wouldn't notice much difference unless everyone did it. But even then that wouldn't make a difference. Oil companies don't just say at their morning meeting how much they want to raise prices for profits! Oil is a traded commodity, and like any other commodity there are a variety of factors. Most importantly, oil is finite. We've reached our peak production, and we are running out. Add that to the fact that developing countries (China) are requiring more and more. When you have something in limited supply, and increasing demand, the price WILL go up. Doesn't matter what it is, it's just economics.

The only reason gas dropped since it peaked in '08 was the declining economy. That took away from the demand. Less demand equals lower prices.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 PM

These things always remind me of an addict deciding not to buy drugs one day because he thinks the dealer is ripping him off. We as a society have grown used to a lifestyle that gives others control over our economy both on a micro and macro level. It's not the gas stations fault, it's not big oil's fault, and it's not even the middle east's fault. Just like a recovering addict, regaining control is going to hurt.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:05 PM

well i wouldn't fill up because i usually top it off when i hit half a tank. and i get 2 weeks out of that. so it would have an effect if everyone cut back on their driving. it's not just about the gas
Old 03-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Would not mind participating if anything in the post was true.

Hasn't worked in ANY of the previous attempts, and will not work now.

Check Snopes for more info and some reasons why.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Agree, Snoopy.

The only way to permanently lower gas prices is to reduce long-term demand. It's fine to 'protest' for one day if it makes you feel like you have some control over the situation, but you really don't.

Here's some things you can do (if you don't already) to reduce your fuel consumption:

1. Avoid unnecessary trips - Combine trips. Heck, if you're gong to the store for just a loaf of bread, you're wasting gas. Eat some crackers.

2. Consider carpooling. I know this is not practical for a lot of people, but for some it could save a lot. If you work in a largedowntown area,check on-line for carpooling resources. Hey, try a car-pooling grocery shopping trip with one of your neighbors.

3. Bus it, bike it, or hoof it. Maybe not practical all the time, but do it when you can.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Odds are I won't ever fill on a Mondy. If I'm that low before the work week, I'll fill up on Sunday. Plus these things are noting but internet hype designed to bog down the email system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dont pump gas march 14th 2011 "gas out"