General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Dory's new look (not 56K friendly)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:07 PM
jx3

Dory's new look (not 56K friendly)

Finally got Dory back from the paint shop, Sunrise Paint and Body (SPB), where she has under gone a complete factory color repaint, courtesy of Deep South Insurance Co. (DSIC)

Knowing that the front bumper was going to be removed, I opted to spend the difference for the Premier Edition headlights, again thanks to DSIC. The front side marker lights were changed out to the "clear" at my expense.

Also replaced was the front windshield, and went with the PPG w/ tint strip. Once again thanks to DSIC for the cost of the factory replacement and SPB for covering the difference.

Couple of shots........

New PPG windshield....

And the new lights.......

Now for some night shots...

Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 PM

mmm nice. i would like to do those headlights and side lamps
Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 PM

Looks good Jay!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:52 PM

Looks nice! I obviously must have missed it or I have a terrible memory, but did you hit something I assume? Or get hit?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Dory is looking tip top again
Old 03-04-2009, 12:17 AM

Looks like they did a nice job on her, the lights really look awesome...
Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 AM

those lights look great. deff worth the pain and sorrow
Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Looks nice! I obviously must have missed it or I have a terrible memory, but did you hit something I assume? Or get hit?
Just before Xmas, on the turnpike, I got caught behind a dump truck hauling a load of gravel. The only "panel" on Dory that didn't receive any chipping was the rear bumper cover. Yes, even the tailgate had gotten a chip from all the gravel that poured out from the gate of the dump truck. My wife was following me in her truck and was getting quite a few rock strikes too.

Once I was able to get from behind the dump truck, I pulled along side to get any/all info that might have been labeled on the truck. While along side, I called the phone number posted on the door. The gentleman said that the driver probably wasn't aware of what was happening and was contacting him immediately. The truck then proceeded to take the next exit. So I followed thinking that he was actually going to stop, as if. Since he wasn't stopping, got the phone cam out to get a shot of the tail of the truck that showed all the gravel on the back of the truck, just waiting to fall off. I followed him for a couple of miles, back to his "yard". I called the number back from the door, asking the gentleman what I needed to do to go about filing a claim against the company for damages. Contacted FHP and sat roadside for about 20 min on the pike to have a report filed.

Contacted VP of the company who handles insurance claims, was told to get him an estimate to repair damage. Don't think he expected to have to pay $4400 (estimate from dealer) to make the situation right, but once he found out that I had a couple photos of his truck raining gravel, he said his insurance (Deep South) would cover 100%.

These shots were taken while doing about 25 mph and taken while stopping or not directly behind the truck. (crappy cel phone pics)..........

Name:  graveltruck1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  28.5 KB

Name:  graveltruck.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  24.0 KB
Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 AM

Dang! Well at least you didn't have to pay for it, (well, besides what you added!)
Old 03-04-2009, 09:57 AM

is the yellow inside the headlight reflecting a lot, or is it just me? I thought the premiere lights got rid of the yellow reflector in there, and it was just a yellow bulb.

Can't really tell since some of your photos look one way and some of them look the other way.

Quick Reply: Dory's new look (not 56K friendly)