General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Duralast parts vs gm parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 AM

Duralast parts vs gm parts

would rather shop at auto zone than at the gm dealer.............generous motors is not generous in ontario............

advice needed on rotors and pads.........thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 12:57 AM

I went with r1concepts for brakes. Yes, there is shipping costs, but the price/quality ratio is still the best I could find for someone in canada.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 PM

Worked at AutoZone for ten years, and their stuff is superior to the other parts stores. Don't work for them anymore, so not trying to flaunt the product. Better bang for the buck than GM, remember all parts store parts gotta meet factory spec, usually exceeds. The Duralast Gold pads are a better piece than stock GM. Have mixed feelings about the Gold Cmax though. Excellent idea and features, the Cmax, but were junk on an '05 Magnum R/T. I have the Golds on our '08 LS and they're working great. Oh, and R1concepts is great, especially with their drilled/slotted rotor sets. Good stuff.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:57 PM

how would you rate o'rielly's???
Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 PM

O'Reilly's had the ability to buy out Checker Shucks Kragen (CSK), though they weren't doing that hot anyway. They've only been in California for a short time, and I've bought nothing from them. Napa's not bad, but they're nearly all franchise so pricey. Pep Boys was bankrupt to some degree forever and a day, they have good stuff but no buying power. Advance Auto Parts is the only one coming close to AutoZone's size/buying power. Once they hit the west coast that ought to be something. AutoZone offers better stuff and rewards program. Maybe even summitracing.com would be a good option for you. Always like 4 cents cheaper than Jegs for some weird reason, and they're doing stock replacement parts now too, not just performance. AutoZone and Summit, good choices.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:27 PM

O'Reilly carries special brake pads that have yet to cause brake dust build up for a good price. I also got my leather treatment from them and it gives my car that new leather car smell. I think the stuff is called lemarx. Anyways I got prem tire shiner (the kind you apply with rubber sponge), prem leather treatment cream, and Arm plastic protection wipes in the new car smell for all under 25 dollars.

I haven't done that much shopping there but so far they beat autozone's prices.

Duralast is good. Never had any problems from their tools anyways.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:35 PM

Worked at a distribution center for auto parts for 10 years. The manufacturer is different than the distributer. A lot of parts may only differ in what box they are in. For example, remanufactured stuff may have gone through any supply chain before being rebuilt.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:25 AM

I'd also look at Rockauto.com if you're looking at stock replacement parts. They have lots of stuff, and they are fast and usually cheap. Rotors are expensive to ship, though, because of weight. I'd find something local if it were me.