General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 02:05 PM

Extended warranty

Hello!

I've been reading this forum for several weeks now. This is a very supportive and useful forum. I have always purchased Hondas/Toyotas in the past. Recently tested an HHR SS and really liked it! There are no comparable vehicle in the market that offers the great performance, utility, mpg, and the the comfortable suv-elevated seating like the HHR SS. Anyhow, I will be purchasing a used, fully-loaded, 2009 HHR SS w/ 12K miles if everything goes right during the inspection!

I plan to keep this vehicle for 5-7 yrs as a daily commuter. Now onto my question, does anyone think I need to get an extended warranty? The dealer said they can certify the vehicle to add an extra 1yr/12k warranty coverage for another $500. Also, does anyone know where I can purchase extended warranty at a reasonable price? Most likely, the dealer will charge too much for an extended warranty.

Thank you for all your help!

BTW, any Asians here that love the HHR SS as much as I do?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:34 PM

We pick up our extended written right into our car loan, not sure if their is anything cheaper outside of the dealership it was just easier to have it done there when we bought it. Ours will cover us for another 5 years after the original expires, and up to 78,000 miles. Given the way we don't milage up on our cars it will be worth it. I did not ask if it was transfrable though, keep that in mind also.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by mr_hhr
Hello!

Also, does anyone know where I can purchase extended warranty at a reasonable price? Most likely, the dealer will charge too much for an extended warranty.

Thank you for all your help!
In addition to reasonable price you might want to make sure the warranty is with a reputable company. I see there is another thread going on now about BBB problems with an extended warranty company.

Anyhow, getting back to your question, when I called Geico to add my SS to my policy they asked me if I wanted the extended warranty. I was surprised at this question and figured I might pick it up at my next renewal. So you might want to check with your auto insurance company.

Good Luck.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hiedyskeeper
We pick up our extended written right into our car loan, not sure if their is anything cheaper outside of the dealership it was just easier to have it done there when we bought it. Ours will cover us for another 5 years after the original expires, and up to 78,000 miles. Given the way we don't milage up on our cars it will be worth it. I did not ask if it was transfrable though, keep that in mind also.
I did the same. When I bought mine the car came with a 3 year warranty and for about an extra 2000 grand that was just added to the price of the car, the warranty was extended to 6 years/100000km.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:13 PM

Just bought a 2008 HHR SS with 9k a few weeks ago. Got a Chev bumper to bumper extended warrenty to 5 years and 60k for $600. Seemed like a good deal especially since I jut had the tubo upgrade installed!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:10 AM

The fact is the warranty is a gamble.

The odds of you needing it and using it are slim. Then if you do need it what are the odds the repair will be more than the cost of the warranty $2000?

With the drivetrain already at 5 year 100,000 miles your most expensive parts are already covered that long do you reallyt need it?

I have had GM cars all my life keep most 10 years and seldom have had problems. If I have they have been for small problems like a EGR valve or things that had cost way less than the extended warranty would have cost. At this point now I have saved enough to pay for several transmission and a engines changes on my own on just what I have saved.

With the good sevice I have gotten from all my GM products. If I have had the extended warranty in my case is a risk best not taken.

Please note too I can do most repairs or at least understand them myself and usually also have the money on hand to deal with anything that may come up. These are points many do not have in their favor when making their choice. The fear of the unlnown and paying a $1500 transmission bill are high for those who do not understand or have little savings.

The lack money on hand to fix anything is what strikes the most fear into buying the warranty. If you can afford even a worst case engine replacement your wasting your money as you can self insure your problems for a lot less and the odd are greatly on your side you will never need it.

Extended Warranties are a Gamble in the MFG favor otherwise they would never sell them if they expected you to use the total amount. You buy it with the expectation you may need it and the MFG sells it with the expectation you will never use it. Best Buy sell the warranties for the same reason to make money.

If your a card player the odds just don't add up only the fear of spending the money.

There is one product the The experts and I would recomend spending the money on a ext warranty and that is a Lap Top Computer. The odds of it having a problem are greater. But as the price continues to drop on them they are even not worth the extra expense of a extended warranty on some.

I was offered a ext warranty by GM for $1900. That money would cover a lot of repairs if they do happen. I feel as with my other GM cars I have never come close to spending even half of that amount to repair my GM cars. The worst repair in 9 new GM cars I have owned was a AC compressor I had repaired for $300 and a EGR valve on another for $250. Brakes and other issues on wear items are not covered so they were never a factor.

The GM warranty offer I recieved [GM is the best one to deal with] would extend my warranty to 104,000 miles and to 5 years over my 3 year 30,000 miles. That would net me 2.5 years more in coverage. It will take me 10 years to see 100,000 miles so the miles driven yearly are also a factor in your case.

I will not say it is wrong to buy a warranty but each and every person needs to look at all the factors and the odds that are in their situation. Miles driven and can you already afford to fix the car vs having to park it because you already have maxed out credit cards. Just don't buy it out of fear. Fear is a selling point I wish they would not use.

I know you will always hear of someone who did get the enigne or transmission failure but how often does that happen ...seldom.

$2000 goes a long way to reapair many problems. The question you need to ask is how many new cars have you bought that needed $2000 in repairs out side of warranty?

I see it as if I can afford the warranty I can afford the repair.

Agree or not that is just my 2 cents on it.

[Note out of over 30+ new GM cars in our imediate family since 1960 only one had a major repair problem not covered by warrany that being a cam in a 301 V8 in a 1978 Lesabre.]
Old 04-11-2009, 02:07 PM

Can't speak for the GM Extended Warranty but most third-party warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. Be sure to read it carefully before you blow.... er, spend... your money on a third party warranty.

MyperV6 is telling it straight.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:28 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciated the inputs. I purchases my HHR SS this weekend. It was previously used by a GM corporate executive. The car was in excellent condition!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:40 AM

I would never purchase an extended warranty on any car. I think it is a "rip-off".
Old 04-12-2009, 03:23 PM

welp maybe to some its worthless.
but i bought one with my sierra, and it paid for itself...
with the miles i put on vehicle, its best to have it... even though there are those that dont agree, the money i paid was less than what i would have had to pay

Quick Reply: Extended warranty