General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Extended warranty recomendations please

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:48 PM

Extended warranty recomendations please

Which one did you use ? How are they to deal with? and what is covered?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:01 PM

You can buy it right from GM in all different time/mileage formulas I went with the bumper to bumper 6 years 60,000 miles cost me $1,500.I have bad luck with power windows,alternators and air after 5 years.It`s a crap shoot though I have good luck with GM cars and do all my own repairs.Most normal repairs are under $250.00 if you do it yourself.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:03 PM

I went for what GM calls the "TotalCare" Package. It covers EVERYTHING on the car. From the clips that hold on the fenders to the engine and transmission. I have a $100 deductable and the cost was around $950.00. Its well worth it. It covers the car for 9 years and I payed an extra $200 reimbursment fee just in case I don't use the package, I get the $950.00 back.
For example: If my wife and I are driving and we have a tire blow out and the rim gets dented, they will come and tow the car, bring it to any dealership, replace the tire and rim for $100 and put us up in a hotel for up to 3 nights. (Say it happens on a Friday, Saturday is booked up, Sunday they are closed, it will be fixed on Monday)
My opinion its a great deal.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:04 PM

I say don't get one, because you'll almost never come out ahead by purchasing one. Check the article in the most recent Consumer Reports for some stats. Let's just say it's by far usually a bad deal. Don't even consider a warranty from someone other than GM. They will do all they can to deny claims... if they're still in business to process them by the time you need it. Example: My wife insisted on an extended warranty on our 2002 Grand Prix. At 40K miles, the intake manifold gasket started leaking. The warranty company was out of business. The dealer that sold the warranty to us wouldn't help, but thank goodness GM picked up the tab for the repair.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:19 PM

I got the extended warranty at time of purchase, 6 years/60K--called "Major Guard". Most I'll ever pay is $100 for anything (cost: $1,395 and included in the financing). Roadside assistance, loaner if needed, towing, flat tire change, etc...similar to my SoCal AAA but I didn't get rid of that! :)

Apparently you can still get this during the limited warranty period--this is the website: www.gmprotectionplan.com

Hope that helps.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:11 PM

When I had my PT Snoozer, I lost a transmission as I was tooling down Route 6 in CT (on my way home from work). Chrysler's extended plan paid for everything (with a $100 deductible). So I broke even on that one.

I'm thinking that when my factory warranty expires, I'll be talking to the dealer about the GM extended plan. He's going to get in touch with me when he thinks I'll be approaching that time.

note: Yeah, I know...dealers are rip offs, etc. However, I've been impressed with this one so far. One can hope it'll keep up, eh?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:22 PM

Warranty

Thanks for the advice still confused which way to go the GM extended plan is for only 60000 miles. I take it that is from when the car is new so with 27800 miles on it now that only leaves me with 32 something isn't that correct. I wonder do they have longer range plans?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:44 PM

Whether they're worth it at all is entirely dependent upon how your usage over time works out. Some will never be likely to get any benefit. For others, it's a VERY inexpensive way to insulate themselves from a LOT of costs, or make the care MUCH more attractive at resale. Only YOU can know if the "math" is likely to work for you or not, and anyone else trying to guess on your behalf is flying blind.

A few facts to arm yourself with:

1. Warrantees have relatively high profit margins for dealers. They can be as negotiable as the vehicle price was.

2. You can usually receive a pro-rated refund on any unused portion at any time.

3. You don't have to buy one now. You can buy one at 35,999 miles and 35 months if you like.

Best of luck.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:45 AM

I just checked my "Total Care" package paperwork and it's good for 80,000 or 9 years.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sunrise HHR
Thanks for the advice still confused which way to go the GM extended plan is for only 60000 miles. I take it that is from when the car is new so with 27800 miles on it now that only leaves me with 32 something isn't that correct. I wonder do they have longer range plans?

They offer multiple plans. You can get at least up to 100K or more, but of course it will cost you more $$. As was stated by a previous poster, the dealer has a huge profit margin, so never pay the first price they offer. At the ford dealer, they started out telling me they could get me a great deal on the warranty for $1600. By the time they believed that I really wasn't going to buy one, they were asking $1100.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty recomendations please