General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Features of the HHR you may not have known

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 09:49 AM

Features of the HHR you may not have known

Here are a few features that I discovered the HHR has.

First if all, the center mount brake light dims the longer your foot is on the brake. Do a quick tap after it is fully dim and it will still remain dim, drive a while and do a quick tap and it is bright again. Possibly a feature to not bother people behind you in heavy traffic.

The windchill wipers change speed based on the vehicle speed. You can notice this when you set the wipers on a certain speed and then take the car above 50MPH the wipers then change to a faster speed until you go back below 50MPH. Great for changing from freeway to street.

Lastly, if you are driving from normal temperature weather to a place that drops below freezing like 28 degrees F, the dash will chime and ICE POSSIBLE will be displayed.

Anyone noticed any other features?
Old 01-27-2018, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

2 and 3, I agree with. I have other cars with those same functions so I was ready for those.

No. 1 about the 3rd brake light. Not sure about that one. In fact, when I was installing my SS cutout sticker in the 3rd light lens, I didn't notice any dimming occurring. And yes I had the brake lights on and off for extended periods while I was "centering" the cutout.
Maybe yours has non-stock bulbs ?
Old 01-27-2018, 10:20 AM

I found that there are certain places I go regularly where I put the Auto Trans in I for compression. This one spot I go regularly runs up to and holds right at 30mph with foot off gas pedal and that is the speed limit I need, but if I just barely touch the throttle .. it releases to a higher speed. It allows me to ride the 1 mile stretch without touching the brakes as I watch most of the cars in front with there brakes on. Kinda neat feature and I use it.
Just found that by accident.

Silverfox
Old 01-27-2018, 11:12 AM

Also never seen the third brake light dim on either HHR of mine. And I wouldn't want it to. If I'm at a long light no one behind me and it dimmed someone might come up and run through me. :O

I also added the SS sticker and had the brake light on for a few minutes at least to get it dialed in and it was always bright.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:37 PM

Well I had stock halogen bulbs in the 3rd brake light and took off the plastic inside cover so you can see the light from the inside. And it definitely dims. Especially during traffic. I don’t know what the wait time is?
Old 01-28-2018, 12:51 AM

I really doubt this is a feature. If it is, we should find that as part of the wiring diag.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by gio89kid
Well I had stock halogen bulbs in the 3rd brake light and took off the plastic inside cover so you can see the light from the inside. And it definitely dims. Especially during traffic. I don’t know what the wait time is?
Are the stock 3rd brake light bulbs Halogen? I always thought they were just standard bulbs and any replacements I've put in have just been standard bulbs.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Administrator

My OEM bulbs were just 921 incandescent
Old 01-28-2018, 02:57 PM

I think the standard is incandescent. Halogen is available.

Wiring diagram would not show anything since the BCM controls it.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:27 PM

Sorry, yes standard incandescent.
I now have LEDs and put the cover back on.
You will have to ask someone that you know that is following behind you one day. I will do the same with the LEDs.

Quick Reply: Features of the HHR you may not have known