Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Feels like wheel is wobbling (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/feels-like-wheel-wobbling-61530/)

BigT 03-18-2019 10:12 PM

Feels like wheel is wobbling

Lately it feels like one of my front wheels is wobbling especially noticeable at low speeds. When I start off from a stop it immediately feels like a wheel is wobbling and jerking the steering wheel. I have jacked up the car and looked all around the tires for bumps or bubbles and didn't see or feel any. I also tried shaking the wheels to see if any of them felt like they were loose. None of this gave me any clues. I considered maybe a tire is out of balance but the way it feels wobbly right from the start it doesn't seem consistent with what I have experienced with out of balance tires. It almost feels like it is something with the steering box. Can anyone give me some ideas? Has anyone else had this experience? All information is appreciated. Thanks

Ron S 03-19-2019 06:36 AM

Have someone check your front hubs. Just a thought.

firemangeorge 03-19-2019 06:42 AM

Low speed wobble, I would take a look at the tires again. Almost sounds like a separated belt on one of them. May not be visible. Have a tire place check them for you.

Doc brown 03-19-2019 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 862889)
Low speed wobble, I would take a look at the tires again. Almost sounds like a separated belt on one of them. May not be visible. Have a tire place check them for you.

My thoughts also.

Oldblue 03-19-2019 09:43 AM

Then look at the outer tie rod ends, lower control arm rear bushings and ball joints.
After you rotate tires to eliminate a defective tire

Silverfox 03-19-2019 10:05 AM

Rotate the fronts to the rear one tire at a time and see if that makes a difference in feel on the front.
I agree with George on the belt possibility, Especially if it started all of a sudden. One hard pot hole hit can do it.
I doubt you would feel a missing wheel weight at start up.
Silverfox

Cat Man HHR 03-19-2019 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 862889)

I agree.
I too wonder if he hit a major pothole ?

BigT 03-19-2019 03:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will rotate the tires and see if that makes a difference. When I initially checked the tires I did not remove them from the car so when I rotate them I will take a much closer look.

Cat Man HHR 03-19-2019 04:00 PM

You might see a shifted cord by looking at the tread as you rotate it . It will look like a zig-zag pattern.
If you have an automatic, jack up one wheel off the ground and put it in drive. As it rotates look at the tread. Just do this at idle you don't have to spin it up.

sleeper 03-19-2019 08:54 PM

Agree also, really sounds like a bad tire.