General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Feels like wheel is wobbling

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:12 PM

Feels like wheel is wobbling

Lately it feels like one of my front wheels is wobbling especially noticeable at low speeds. When I start off from a stop it immediately feels like a wheel is wobbling and jerking the steering wheel. I have jacked up the car and looked all around the tires for bumps or bubbles and didn't see or feel any. I also tried shaking the wheels to see if any of them felt like they were loose. None of this gave me any clues. I considered maybe a tire is out of balance but the way it feels wobbly right from the start it doesn't seem consistent with what I have experienced with out of balance tires. It almost feels like it is something with the steering box. Can anyone give me some ideas? Has anyone else had this experience? All information is appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-19-2019, 06:36 AM

Have someone check your front hubs. Just a thought.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

Low speed wobble, I would take a look at the tires again. Almost sounds like a separated belt on one of them. May not be visible. Have a tire place check them for you.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Low speed wobble, I would take a look at the tires again. Almost sounds like a separated belt on one of them. May not be visible. Have a tire place check them for you.
My thoughts also.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Then look at the outer tie rod ends, lower control arm rear bushings and ball joints.
After you rotate tires to eliminate a defective tire
Old 03-19-2019, 10:05 AM

Rotate the fronts to the rear one tire at a time and see if that makes a difference in feel on the front.
I agree with George on the belt possibility, Especially if it started all of a sudden. One hard pot hole hit can do it.
I doubt you would feel a missing wheel weight at start up.
Silverfox
Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I agree.
I too wonder if he hit a major pothole ?
Old 03-19-2019, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will rotate the tires and see if that makes a difference. When I initially checked the tires I did not remove them from the car so when I rotate them I will take a much closer look.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:00 PM

You might see a shifted cord by looking at the tread as you rotate it . It will look like a zig-zag pattern.
If you have an automatic, jack up one wheel off the ground and put it in drive. As it rotates look at the tread. Just do this at idle you don't have to spin it up.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Agree also, really sounds like a bad tire.

Quick Reply: Feels like wheel is wobbling