General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Feels like wheel is wobbling

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 05:25 PM

I would bet on lug nuts first, but more likely a tie rod end. Had this happen in a cab once. He had just gotten work done on his cab (08 ish Impala) by a guy who was noted for his weed use, and the guy either didn't put the nut on, or it fell off. I helped the cabbie get it back together after figuring it out for him. Yours is probably just worn out, This one finally fell off, and we skidded to a stop. Had to pound it into place with the base of my hand the best I could.

Tires will be more of a higher speed thing thing. Something is loose if its low-speed. Guaranteed.

EDIT: The cabbie gave me a bottle of whiskey after. He was so happy that I could figure it out and limp him back...
Old 03-25-2019, 12:26 PM

Yesterday I had some time to take the wheels off my HHR and get a good look at them. The passenger side front definitely has a bubble in it. Once I got the wheel off and in the light I could see it. While I was at it I rotated the two fronts to the back and wobble feel stopped. Looks like I will be buying some new tires. Also my tire pressure sensors are 10 years old and One of them has already stopped working. My question is how do I know I am buying the right ones? I guess the mail factor is the radio frequency. Would these be the ones I should buy? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...441024&jsn=443
Thanks for all the suggestions on my wheel wobble problem.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:55 PM

TPS's have batteries. Replace the battery when you get new tires. The tire shop should be able to do that for you. Cheaper than purchasing a new TPS.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by letterman7
TPS's have batteries. Replace the battery when you get new tires. The tire shop should be able to do that for you. Cheaper than purchasing a new TPS.
I thought I read somewhere that the batteries were not replaceable. If they are what size, etc. are they?
Old 03-25-2019, 03:25 PM

In most TPS's the batteries are replaceable. I couldn't tell you the size.. flat watch battery style.. I've always had my shop replace them as needed. That said, not all sensors have replaceable batteries. Find the monitors on your own - typically you can find them cheaper than what the tire store will charge you. Just a quick search for them on the RockAuto site reveals several under $40... not bad at all. You didn't say what year your car is, but they should all be very similar.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Here it says they are not changeable

https://www.tirereview.com/changing-...sor-batteries/
Old 03-25-2019, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by letterman7
The batteries are sealed up inside the TPS. If you want to dig them out go for it. But as they say "Stupid is, what stupid does".
Old 03-25-2019, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by BigT
Would these be the ones I should buy? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...441024&jsn=443
Thanks for all the suggestions on my wheel wobble problem.
Are your wheels steel or alloy ?
Do the original ones have a rubber stem ?
Old 03-25-2019, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Glad you found the source of the wobble. Since you'll be buying new tires, get 4 new sensors and have them installed at the same time. Save the labor of breaking down the tires twice. And no, the batteries aren't replaceable on the HHR sensors. Never have been on any year.
Fwiw. You did get 11 years from the batteries so be happy for that.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:24 AM

I didn't see "bent rim" yet. Bad alignment could also cause a similar effect.

Quick Reply: Feels like wheel is wobbling