General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

A few questions for hhr owners from a future owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 02:49 AM

A few questions for hhr owners from a future owner

Hi. I'm seriously considering an hhr when my current lease is up. I checked out several on dealers lots and I really think this is the best all-around car for us. I do have a few questions that I hope current owners can answer. First is what is the rotary dial next to the T/C button used for?
More importantly, I have only sat in the hhr so far, but I'm concerned that the center driver's armrest seems too short (only my elbow rests on it) and I wonder if it has been uncomfortable for current owners on road trips. I know this seems like a trivial matter but I have had cars w/o a center armrest and I whined about it all the time!
I would also be interested in getting feedback on whether the sport suspension w/17" tires is harsh. I have only found LS and a few SS models around so I can't compare until the 2010's start to arrive.
My partner also is convinced that the inside door handles are flimsy and will break after a few years of opening the doors...has anyone experienced this?

Thanks for any feedback. I really love this car more than i thought I would and can't wait to own one. Rod
Old 08-08-2009, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by samesun
Hi. I'm seriously considering an hhr when my current lease is up. I checked out several on dealers lots and I really think this is the best all-around car for us. I do have a few questions that I hope current owners can answer. First is what is the rotary dial next to the T/C button used for?
More importantly, I have only sat in the hhr so far, but I'm concerned that the center driver's armrest seems too short (only my elbow rests on it) and I wonder if it has been uncomfortable for current owners on road trips. I know this seems like a trivial matter but I have had cars w/o a center armrest and I whined about it all the time!
I would also be interested in getting feedback on whether the sport suspension w/17" tires is harsh. I have only found LS and a few SS models around so I can't compare until the 2010's start to arrive.
My partner also is convinced that the inside door handles are flimsy and will break after a few years of opening the doors...has anyone experienced this?

Thanks for any feedback. I really love this car more than i thought I would and can't wait to own one. Rod
The first question i dont know what your talking about. But over all the car is awesome. And the arm rest isnt a problem. Nither are the door panels. Id say go with the ss over any of the modelz.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:39 AM

Some adjustments can be done to raise the armrest. For me it has not been a problem. Since I have a LT1, it has the standard suspension although I added a rear sway bay to help stablize it. After three years my door handles work well. I'm not hard on the car so I don't yank on the handle. I have the 2.4L in my car, which gets the car around quite well and I'm averaging over 30 mpg with the mixed driving.

It all boils down to, what you want to use the car for, commuter, street rod, or highway cruzer.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:17 AM

That rotary knob is the dash panel light dimmer.No,I don't think the "sport suspension" is harsh at all.I don't use my seat arm rest at all.It's folded up.Since my car is a 5 speed the armrest just gets in my way when shifting.If I ever take a long highway trip I may use it then.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:36 AM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 20
Size:  5.6 KB to the site Rod!!! I previously owned a 1LT and currently own an SS so I can't comment on the 17's with the sport suspension. The arm rest seems fine to me as far as length. The problem I have with it is I seem to use both arm rests so my partner and I are constantly fighting over who gets to use it
Old 08-08-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ZTony8
...I don't use my seat arm rest at all.It's folded up.Since my car is a 5 speed the armrest just gets in my way when shifting.If I ever take a long highway trip I may use it then.
^^^
This is my experience also...
Old 08-08-2009, 10:57 AM

I just turned 12k miles on my '08 HHR SS and have to say that I am more than happy with this car. The versatility is even better than I anticipated. I don't know why the door handles might be a probem. I have 8 vehicles and many of them have similar construction and I have never had a problem with breakage. I guess if you were to deliberately set out to break something, anything will fail. But I don't abuse my vehicles either.

My only small issue with the HHR is that there is no dome light override (you can't shut the interior lights off with the doors open, especially the rear hatch), which I often use on my other GM vehicles when at outdoor events.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:08 PM

Thanks to everyone for taking time to reply and HillsdaleHHR, thank-you for the welcome.

My "armrest and door handle" concerns have pretty much been alleviated so thanks to all again.

I didn't even consider that the rotary dial was for the dimmer...I thought it had something to do with the traction control/stabilitrak system.

I really like the 17' wheels that come w/the sport suspension but I have yet to find a car with that suspension on a dealer's lot. So, keeping our budget in mind, i'll probably end up going with either the standard wheel covers(LS) or possibly an LT w/steel 16" wheels. Cheers everyone and I'm really enjoying checking out photos of your rides.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:33 PM

Hello. I have an 08 hhr lt. I bought it used, it had 26,000 miles on it. I really like the little car. The only problem i have had with it, is the steering made a clunk noise when i went over a bump. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it under warranty. The problem i have with the arm rest is when they are down it makes it hard to pick up my drink. Kinda tight in that area, but i got use to it. The car runs good and drives good and is real good on gold or i mean gas. I only have 30,000 miles on it now but i hope it gives many more miles with no problems. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by samesun

It controls the brightness of the gauge cluster, as well as the dome light on/off switch..

Quick Reply: A few questions for hhr owners from a future owner