General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Firestone's Impossible to find

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:28 AM

Firestone's Impossible to find

Howdy Y'all,

On Friday I had a terrible thing happen. A couple friend and I were setting off for a weekend out of town. I was a work that day and had my friend pick up my car and drive it downtown to pick me up and save some time. I came out of my building to find my buddy changing my tire. I asked why. He rubbed the curb in the parking lot and pinched the sidewall and blew out the tire.

We made a quick stop at the GM dealership down the street from my work where I purchased my HHR 2LT. I wanted to get a replacement firestone firehawk that came with the car. I am wanting to upgrade to a larger rim and a better tire but that will be after this winter if I still have the vehicle. My dealer didn't have the tire. He referred me to the Pontiac/Buick dealer down the street. Again no luck. We tried two more independent tire shops and still no firehawks. The one guy told me he could get me the tire but it would be coming from somewhere else and would take a week.

I decided to switch over to a bridgestone instead. It was a really crappy way to start a nice weekend away. My buddy ended up being out $200 dollars for the new rubber and I'm out $600 for the other three to finish off the set.

Just wanted to share a bit of my troubles with you guys and let you know that the Firestone Firehawks that come on the 2LT with the upgraded wheels are hard to come by (at least up here where I am, it might be easier in other places.)

Adios
Old 08-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Deceased

i had one blow out on me so i put on one i had from another car in the garage

then another get the sidewall cut and not repairable so i went and got Goodyear Eagle GP-H's and love them

great tires and not a ton of money
spent right at $400 installed and road hazard warranty included
Old 08-17-2006, 03:07 PM

I blew a firestone-- no one had it--- finally got a Bridgestone looks almost the same tread design. For only $225! Glad I only blew one tire!
Old 08-17-2006, 03:10 PM

[QUOTE=cj krause}

then another get the sidewall cut and not repairable ...[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing the next week but only a slight tear on sidewall by the wheel-- yeah I know PIC's!
Not goin' to replace unless it has to be replaced.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:11 PM

My dealership had a free 36 month / 36K mile Road Hazard Warranty on the tires. Was that something typical of Chevy dealers, or just something they offer at that particular dealership?
Old 08-17-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Just wanted to share a bit of my troubles with you guys and let you know that the Firestone Firehawks that come on the 2LT with the upgraded wheels are hard to come by...
That is because the Firehawks on the HHR are "OEM" only.
Meaning: they only make them for "original equipment manufacturers."
They are not available at retail stores.

Most tire manufacturers make many models exclusively for car makers.

Hope it helps,
Old 08-17-2006, 03:21 PM

Dealers don't stock them either

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
That is because the Firehawks on the HHR are "OEM" only.
Meaning: they only make them for "original equipment manufacturers."
They are not available at retail stores.

Most tire manufacturers make many models exclusively for car makers.

Hope it helps,
I tried to dealer's that afternoon looking for the tire as well. They did not have any either. Maybe they could order them but I needed one right away. My trip out of town needed to be done.

New tire has a stiffer and stronger sidewall. This should help with the handle in corner's slightly but makes the ride a little stiffer. The stronger sidewall should be able to stand up to "more abuse" as well. Although I have yet to hit a curb or anything when driving. Friend's aren't always as careful I guess
Old 08-17-2006, 03:36 PM

My dealership had a free 36 month / 36K mile Road Hazard Warranty on the tires. Was that something typical of Chevy dealers, or just something they offer at that particular dealership?
must be somthing the dealer offers, sweet deal for you
Old 08-17-2006, 03:40 PM

Tirerack has them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=S
Old 08-18-2006, 08:32 PM

Tirerack is great! Used them three times. I replace all my OEM's with Yokahama Avid T4 or Geolanders. Awsome tires on Dry/Wet or Snow!!

Quick Reply: Firestone's Impossible to find