Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Fuel Tank Capacity Which is it? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/fuel-tank-capacity-13398/)

RBodeman 12-06-2011 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by rommer (Post 241157)
My manual says 16.2 gallons

2008 HHR SS

So how do you explain that I filled up and got 16.7 gallons in my tank yesterday?

Hmmm....I better be watching that gas pump meter next time. The station better not be pulling a fast one on me.

Granted I did drive a good 20 miles with the Low Fuel light on. But come on, how do you fit more in the tank than the tank size can fit?

db/sb 12-06-2011 04:53 PM

The fuel pipe on these cars is long enough to hold .5 gallons.

ChevyMgr 12-06-2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by RBodeman (Post 605800)
So how do you explain that I filled up and got 16.7 gallons in my tank yesterday?

Hmmm....I better be watching that gas pump meter next time. The station better not be pulling a fast one on me.

Granted I did drive a good 20 miles with the Low Fuel light on. But come on, how do you fit more in the tank than the tank size can fit?

Pump is wrong (most likely) or you filled your evap canister with fuel. If that happened a check engine light is in your near future. Or what db/sb said.

donbrew 12-06-2011 05:24 PM

I have put 16.5 gal. in before. The car had not stopped. What I find interesting is the DIC estimate is very accurate, I guess the sensor that goes to the computer is actually digital, I just wish it would keep giving me a reading after 50 miles left. When you are heading south on the NY State Thruway, it would be nice to know if you can get to NJ to get gas!

RBodeman 12-06-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb (Post 605802)
The fuel pipe on these cars is long enough to hold .5 gallons.

16.2 + .5 = 16.7
So basically I was empty? Yikes....not a very good thing to do. I have a bad habit of waiting too long before fill ups. But seriously I will keep an eye on that pump next time at that particular station.

What is an evap canister?

Snoopy 12-06-2011 05:59 PM

An expensive emission part to replace.

Greybeard999 12-06-2011 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by RBodeman (Post 605813)
16.2 + .5 = 16.7
So basically I was empty? Yikes....not a very good thing to do. I have a bad habit of waiting too long before fill ups. But seriously I will keep an eye on that pump next time at that particular station.

What is an evap canister?

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 605814)
An expensive emission part to replace.

Yeah..... Do NOT top these cars off, fill until the pump shuts off the first time and hang up the hose. Unless you like spending money at the dealer as well.

AC66Bronco 12-07-2011 07:34 AM

Modern in tank fuel pumps rely on the fuel to keep them cool

Running them low frequently can add stress to the pump and potentially cause early failure.

Then you gotta pay up!

Now that winter is approching it is my practice to never let it get below 1/4 tank just for safety sake.

11BlueJ 12-07-2011 08:11 AM

When my low fuel light and buzzer go off, I can only get 14.5 gallons in.
So I figure there must still be over a gallon in there. Not sure how you can run it down that low, without the buzzer driving you nutz.