General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

GM PAL iPod Interface

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:06 PM

GM PAL iPod Interface

For all of you contemplating installation of the GM PAL iPOD interface, be careful what you ask for. Just before Thanksgiving I bought a loaded 08 HHR (replacing my previous daily driver) and as part of the deal, I had the PAL installed (I thought wow I can get this for my HHR but can't get it for my 07 Vette (w/ the NAV radio)). The HHR has the high-end Pioneer system with the same GM radio used in the 08 non-NAV Cadillacs, the new Malibu, etc. This is without question the worst piece of electronic crap that anyone has come up with.

It completely screwed up the operation of the XM portion of the radio, always defaulted to iPOD mode, even if it was not plugged in (unless the radio had been previously set to an AM or FM station), and then required nearly equivalent button pressing to writing this thread to get back to XM or radio operation. It also screwed up the return to radio mode after any contact w/ OnStar (Turn by Turn, phone call etc.).

I have a great dealer with a top notch service department. One of their mechanics (who worked on my car) is an electronics wizard and couldn't get this thing to work right even with the assistance of "crack" GM Tech Support. GM kept insisting the XM digital receiver was faulty (however, in the week that I owned the HHR before the PAL was installed the XM receiver and radio worked perfectly). Needless to say, after three attempts (during which the dash and console were disassembled and reassembled for radio removal) and the XM receiver was replaced twice, I insisted it be removed. It was returned to GM and I got my money back and therefore was treated very fairly (other than the time I screwed around with this and having to drive dismal rentals while the HHR was in the shop for this (a total of seven days)).

I bought a great product from Griffin called the iPOD TuneFlex Aux. It plugs into the power port/cigarette lighter outlet, docks the iPOD in a cradle (and therefore charges it) on a short flexible arm and then has a short cord to connect to the aux jack. Yeah, I have to control the iPOD but how often do you have to switch music once you start playing it.

How Ford (barely in business can do MySync) and GM can't get this right is a mystery to me. And how for one of their most expensive halo cars (the Vette) they haven't been able to solve this a really sad.

Sorry for the long post but I wouldn't want anyone to experience this.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:24 PM

Welcome. boy some trouble. I don't plan on getting it so I don't have to worry. There are a few members in your area here on the forum also. Think they get together once in awhile. Hope you still enjoy the HHR.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:33 PM

John B, your solution is how I always thought an IPOD should work in our radios. I've never heard of the PAL system. I bought the cable but haven't used it yet. I have a cheap IPOD-like MP3 player and only have a 1G card in it. My six MP3 disks in the CD changer hold more music. Plus, on long trips I tend to listen to XM radio.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
John B, your solution is how I always thought an IPOD should work in our radios. I've never heard of the PAL system. I bought the cable but haven't used it yet. I have a cheap IPOD-like MP3 player and only have a 1G card in it. My six MP3 disks in the CD changer hold more music. Plus, on long trips I tend to listen to XM radio.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/i-pod-interface-gm-5908/ This is an old thread about what he is talking about.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:34 PM

I've had my GM PAL since July in a '06 and only a few times has it gone to the iPOD mode when I restarted after turning off in XM. All I had to do was cycle through AM-FM-XM three pressing of the band button.
I have had a problem though with not having XM or iPOD on restarts and having to wait a little then going through the band cycle and everything is working again.
Sorry you had so many problems with yours.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:17 AM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 53
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!! A couple members have this and don't seem to have the same problems. At least you found something that works for you and you like Options are always good.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:02 AM

I've never heard of this interface. Its sounds interesting, but I have no problem just using the regular iPod controls.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:39 AM

JohnB
Another owner of an HHR + Corvette!

Gerry
Old 12-28-2007, 05:30 PM

Mine will default to iPod once in awhile, whether the iPod is plugged or not. Also, I've had the "XM not available" twice now and no XM, no iPod. This is one GM product that has not been thought out!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:57 PM

There seems to be quite a few of us that have both HHRs and Vettes me included.

Quick Reply: GM PAL iPod Interface