General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

GM Superlube equivalent

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 12:19 PM

GM Superlube equivalent

Perhaps a dumb question but what would be the auto parts store/Wal-Mart equivalent to GM's Superlube 12346241 that is recommended in owner's manual?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by turbotim
Perhaps a dumb question but what would be the auto parts store/Wal-Mart equivalent to GM's Superlube 12346241 that is recommended in owner's manual?
What are you lubing?
Old 10-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

This was the supplier, at one time, according to what I have been told.

http://www.fluidconnections.com/features/super-lube

I have used the dry formula for almost 20 years for various applications. Really good stuff but rather hard to find in retail stores.

I originally discovered that Stars and Stripes (Americas Cup) used the dry formula on their sails (of all things). I tried it on several problem areas of my sail boat and was amazed at the result.

I located it in West Marine Boat stores. I generally buy 2-3 tubes and 2 dry spray containers....at one time. It is moderately expensive....about what the GM dealer would charge for the Goodwrench container.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
What are you lubing?
Haha... wouldn't you like to know? Actually my door hinges. I just wondered if what GM recommended was actually something special or just some re-badged silicone spray or penetrating oil that I could pick up anywhere.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
This was the supplier, at one time, according to what I have been told.

http://www.fluidconnections.com/features/super-lube

I have used the dry formula for almost 20 years for various applications. Really good stuff but rather hard to find in retail stores.

I originally discovered that Stars and Stripes (Americas Cup) used the dry formula on their sails (of all things). I tried it on several problem areas of my sail boat and was amazed at the result.

I located it in West Marine Boat stores. I generally buy 2-3 tubes and 2 dry spray containers....at one time. It is moderately expensive....about what the GM dealer would charge for the Goodwrench container.
The company I work for actually resells a very small tube of this product. I've seen it on our warehouse shelves. I might have to go put my employee discount to good use. Would there be any trade off between using the dry spray over the grease?
Old 10-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

The dry is really the way to go. Dirt and debris will not adhere to it, it doesn't build up, if you wipe or brush against it accidentally.....you won't get grease or black goo on yourself (especially good for locks, key ways, door striker plates). I use it regularly on hood hinges and hold downs, and the "air shocks" for the hood and rear lift gate.

I use the grease type on assembly work. You can rub the stuff in until it vanishes and the lubrication properties are still there. For example, I used it on my car seat frames/rails. The seats adjust so easy....you better not be driving at the same time (which is a bad idea, anyway).

But it really comes down to your choice.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:52 AM

Here is a price list
http://www.super-lube.com/files/pdfs...price_list.pdf
Old 10-04-2008, 11:59 PM

It works better than K-Y!