General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Hardwired GPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:40 PM

I like the separate Garmon GPS because I transfer the GPS unit from car to car. I mount it to the windshield just above the guage pod. It is almost on the dash. It is easy to glance at it without taking my eyes off the road.

The wires can be a nuisance hanging down.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 AM

which fuse location did you use?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 PM

I used this location with an in-line fuse. Not sure what number it is, but it is switched on/off with the ignition. Even has the delay like the radio and windows.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:34 PM

Depends on what you want. Fuse location #21 (a spare slot) will give you key controlled hot, fuse location #28 (also blank) will give you constant hot.

The one esmarkey is showing is location #22. I don't know if that one is constant or not. You would also be wise to make sure you use an inline fuse to protect your equipment.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:39 AM

Thanks guys.. I plan to tap into fuse #22 with the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-FHM...=pd_sim_auto_1
Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by jjdurrant
Thanks guys.. I plan to tap into fuse #22 with the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-FHM...=pd_sim_auto_1
That is the wrong size, but the type is even safer than in in-line fuse as it moves the fuse back to the sorce.

Good luck with your project.

See below for more detail!

Last edited by esmarkey; 02-17-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: wrong size
Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 PM

I went a different route when I did mine after I hard wired it to the power outlet I put in a 3 amp in line fuse then ran the wire up to the glove box.On the backside of the lid there is a little shock absorber for the arms.I just slid it up some till the lid opens just enough to see my GPS.The lid is still low enough that it does not block your vision of the road.

All I did was put a bit of velcro on the inside of box and backside of the GPS when I use it I just set it up and aline the velcro.When I park it just pull it off the velcro and lay it down and shut the lid out of site.

Best part of doing it this way is the screen is always shaded and is nice and bright on the sunny days in any direction you drive.
Attached Images     
Old 02-20-2010, 09:11 AM

I realized after I made my amazon purchase I did not buy the mini version. Doh.

I am hoping the local auto parts store has an adapter or something similiar I can use to tap into the fuseblock.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 AM

Ok, how many of you operate the GPS everywhere you go, even to the corner store? I see people all the time proudly displaying the GPS and going nowhere, local drivers, going to Walmart.I guess they afraid they might get lost in isle 15...........running around locally where everybody see;s your car everyday, is like puting that big KENWOOD STEREO sticker across the front of your windshield...LOOKIE WHAT I HAVE!! Anyways...
Old 02-20-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Ok, how many of you operate the GPS everywhere you go, even to the corner store? I see people all the time proudly displaying the GPS and going nowhere, local drivers, going to Walmart.I guess they afraid they might get lost in isle 15...........running around locally where everybody see;s your car everyday, is like puting that big KENWOOD STEREO sticker across the front of your windshield...LOOKIE WHAT I HAVE!! Anyways...
Now that it is hardwired in it comes on automatiacally. If I am local and not needing the "find" feature I tend to use the screen that has the big speedo. It is much easier to read and more accurate than the one in the dash.
So yes, I am one of those that has it one all the time, but not because of "look at what I have", just a tool.... When I put mine into "find" mode, I lose the speedo function and find it difficult to know my speed (because of habit). Going through school zones I will switch back to speedo modes as my factory speedo is about 4mph off.

Quick Reply: Hardwired GPS