General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Headlight Bulb Recommendation (Blue HID Effect)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:37 PM

Headlight Bulb Recommendation (Blue HID Effect)

OK, a few months ago I purchased some Nokya H13 "Hyperwhite" (Blue) bulbs for my 2008 HHR SS. I was happy with the output of the lights but I am not happy with how long the lasted. Within a Month the High Beam on the passenger light went out. I thought well I can live with that since I rarely use the high beams. However, today the low beam on the other headlight (Drivers side) went out and now I am down to one headlight + the fogs. Can anyone recommend a brand of headlight that they found to be reliable and will give a similar blue output.

I tried contacting Nokya for a replacement but their customer service was horrible. Basically said I should have bought the harness to go with them because the stock one cannot handle those bulbs. I asked Chevy about that and they said their should be no reason why the OEM harness should cause a problem with those bulbs so I cannot seem to get help anywhere.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:44 PM

im intertested n some HID effect bulbs too. i cant afford $100+ HIDs.
i used nokya in my civic and volvo. never had a problem..
did you in any way touch the bulb when u were installing?!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by halfpanel08
im intertested n some HID effect bulbs too. i cant afford $100+ HIDs.
i used nokya in my civic and volvo. never had a problem..
did you in any way touch the bulb when u were installing?!

No I made sure my hands were clean and I even wore surgical gloves to keep the oils from my skin off the bulb. Nokya told me that the higher wattage output was too much for the HHR. The stock bulbs are 65w I think and these are 80w. I guess I am more upset with their customer service. The girl that answered the phone sounded like she was bored and just wanted to get rid of me. I have the receipt and everything and the store I bought them from said it was past their 30 days so they could not help me.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:12 PM

hmm well i dunno what to tell you
the nokya's i had were hyper white and purple ones..
mine were like 55-65w though. not 80w ?!?

if u find sumthing, make sure u post it up here
Old 12-08-2008, 06:16 PM

HID Problem

I had the same problem with mine. My right side high beam went out.I found a HID conv. kit on ebay for $68.00.I'm converting over in spring.unless a low beam goes out by that time.I'll put the stock one's back.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:46 PM

Yeah that is one of the problems with these type of systems. Harness incompatability, over watting etc. Just don't spend too much. Save a little for the real thing :)
Old 12-08-2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Clevelandhhrss
Yeah that is one of the problems with these type of systems. Harness incompatability, over watting etc. Just don't spend too much. Save a little for the real thing :)
what is incompatiable with our HHR ? there are people on here who have orderd bixenon h13 HIDs off ebay and other places and they work fine. never heard em complain. most people who complain are the ones buyin silverstars and ebay cheapies. why is this??
Old 12-08-2008, 06:58 PM

I use these......

---> http://www.bulbs.com/Category-/resul...lpartial&Nty=1

Cajun / Al
Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by halfpanel08
what is incompatiable with our HHR ? there are people on here who have orderd bixenon h13 HIDs off ebay and other places and they work fine. never heard em complain. most people who complain are the ones buyin silverstars and ebay cheapies. why is this??
Depends who you buy from. I've tried to aquire as much information as i can from a lot of different forums. Most have very inconsistant performance from plug n play kits. I'm sure some are good, I just have no ideas which ones. The market is flooded with so many of them its to hard to tell. That's why i just decided to get oem ballasts , i didnt want to have any issues with my bcm going screwy, setting any harness fires, losing my highs/lows on a long trip, ballast flickering, highs and no low, lows and no high..etc

Where do you buy from?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Clevelandhhrss

Where do you buy from?
my friend john sharp owns a HID company..
i buy from him obviously..
ive bought some stuff off ebay over the years too

Quick Reply: Headlight Bulb Recommendation (Blue HID Effect)