General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Help with some Upgrade ideas for my HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:18 PM
arp

Help with some Upgrade ideas for my HHR?

Hi everyone!
I want to make some small upgrades/ additions on my 07 Black HHR.

My first question is:
I want to install Rain guards/ vent visors? Should I go with In-Channel or outside mount? Has anybody purchased and used JDM SlimLine Weathershields? Or AVS brand? If so, please leave a review and let me know if you would recommend them.

Second question is:
Does anybody know of any reliable sites to purchase pin stripes from? Looking into adding some type of pin stripe or decal to her against the black. Looking for good quality, reasonable prices, reliable websites.

And finally:
I am looking into installing (myself) a touch screen radio by replacing the old OEM radio that comes with the car when you first buy it. Any recommendations for brands, models, sellers, websites, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Hello-

AVS "In-Channel" on mine..Much cleaner look, & they work well..

Pinstripes: any good quality ones should be fine..
Old 08-10-2013, 11:59 PM

Try a auto paint shop 3-M has a large catalog, Any paint supplier that supplys paint to body shops.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:57 AM

Cool

Ok, I don't know about rain guards / vent visors I have never had any. But I have seen plenty that have come lose and are flopping around while the car runs down the highway.
But I do know about pin stripping, NO TAPE, spend the extra and get real hand painted pin stripes, well worth it. A local car show is a great place to get recommendations for a pin stripper. Also a lot of high end dealers, Jag, Mercedes, Lexus use local guys and the service manager probably knows how to get in touch. The great thing about paint is a stripper will usually paint different stipe combinations on for you, temporarily, so you can decide what looks best.
Now, the car audio question...This will require a special adapter because your door chimes and buzzers play thru the car speakers. And if you have never done anything like that I recommend having a professional do it or getting someone that has already done one to help.
The good thing is you are on your way to having a ride that is yours and yours alone. So keep it up it is a blast.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:39 PM

First mod should be knocking down the height of the silver pain in the funny bone door lock.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:31 PM

I had pin-strips done by a local guy $150.00, turns out I knew his dad over 50 years ago as I had some custom work as I was building a show car, you never who you can run into. painted pin-strips are the only way to go.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

X2 Jay. For an added touch of individuality, if you go with a pin-striper, have him do a bit on the inside of the door jams etc., and/or in the engine compartment. Some guys just charge a flat rate, and as long as you don't go overboard with the requests, or nag them too much, they will add some subtle touches here and there.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

I have the peal and seal units, used my hot air welder when I put them on, and they haven't even thought of coming loose, yet anyway been a couple years. I didn't want to interrupt the body color with black.

Picked up a used Alpine 900bt, had a shop install it, like it fine.
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2013, 09:16 PM
arp

Originally Posted by Fox Hat
First mod should be knocking down the height of the silver pain in the funny bone door lock.
That's not a bad idea actually. Have you had any problems with your door locks other than the height? I have been having a very inconsistent issue with the silver door lock dropping when I unlock my doors, which prevents me from opening my door. Weird and very annoying.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:17 PM
arp

Originally Posted by SS fan
I have the peal and seal units, used my hot air welder when I put them on, and they haven't even thought of coming loose, yet anyway been a couple years. I didn't want to interrupt the body color with black.

Picked up a used Alpine 900bt, had a shop install it, like it fine.
What brand are your rain guards? Looking into definitely buying and installing myself...still unsure what brand to buy.

Quick Reply: Help with some Upgrade ideas for my HHR?