General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR 2.4 LT after 5000 km, good

Old 10-27-2017, 04:20 AM

HHR 2.4 LT after 5000 km, good

Hello

Im back!
After a 5000 km i can say i like the car compared to my last PT CRUISER 2.0 Limited

Pros:
- dynamic
- comfort
- lot of space
- good equipment placement

Cons:
- fuel usage: 13 l LPG (0-80km/h) on highway 16+ (120-160) bit expensive
- small wheel space (yes You ware right R18 is a bit tight)
- non ston check engine an T/C (vanishing and
- non soft ****f of gears
- can turn off the passanger air bag

But overall good job! Im pleased of the car even my wife likes to drive above 80km/h

Please help me with problems (after pluging the car to the computer no errors show!):

- car is loosing coolant (0,5l -> 5000 km)
- when i start the engine on cold i smell a strange smell from the air supply (after 60 deg it stops)
- the t/c control shows and dissapears (no errors from ecu)
- check engine shows and dissapears (no errors from ecu)
- still cant start the car from remote (no errors from ecu)

Old 10-27-2017, 08:51 AM
Technical Moderator

If the CEL lights up there has to be a code! The T/C will light up if there is a CEL/code. Could also be wheel speed sensor.

The RS won't work if there is a code or the CMHSL is not fully functional or the hood ajar switch is sending an ajar signal.

Strange smell: look at toward the flex pipe. Or could be the LPG.

The passenger airbag turns itself off when nothing or somebody light is in the passenger seat.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
If the CEL lights up there has to be a code! The T/C will light up if there is a CEL/code. Could also be wheel speed sensor.

The RS won't work if there is a code or the CMHSL is not fully functional or the hood ajar switch is sending an ajar signal.

Strange smell: look at toward the flex pipe. Or could be the LPG.

The passenger airbag turns itself off when nothing or somebody light is in the passenger seat.
about lights i know, but strange thing no codes come up, but when i click erase errors in torque than ligts dont show a few kilometers, after 20-30 km, after time the lights are up again

rs - when i click lights light up, but start engine dosnt work

t/c -You think it could be that i have R18 ?

smell - this is not lpg, rather like exhaust fumes
Old 10-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Smell broken flexpipe.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

Is that strange smell a musty smell ? Could be from the air ducts. Many people on this forum have reported that "musty" damp smell on start up. Lingering moisture in the AC system creates that smell when the car is not running. When you first start the car it blows out the stale air in the vent system. It is more noticeable to folks who live in humid climate areas. You may want to check the cabin air filter also.

No codes showing with a CEL lit. Be sure that your code reader is getting power from the OBD port. Could be as simple as a blown fuse. Cigarette lighter or power outlet fuse is the one that powers the OBD port.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:27 AM
Technical Moderator

The CEL doesn't light up unless there is a code.(period)

There are 3 levels of codes in Torque, you may be looking at the wrong page.

I noticed a smell sort of like turpentine/solvent when my flex pipe was cracked. Rich LPG has the same sort of smell. Failing catalytic converter smells like rotten eggs/sulfur.

The odor from raw LPG is added for safety, it is normally odorless. I don't know what it would smell like in Poland.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:02 PM

My black HHR - errors and problems

Hello

Im back after a while i had to get use to the Hero i have.

After a while i got some time to go to get the codes read and the outcome:

codes

Please tell me where to start...

1) break fluid ive just made an apointment on saturday so thats off

2) i have check engine and t/c lights on

3) i just want to start my hhr from FOB, yes it has the function.

4) for the rest of people if You have a coolant lost thats major, 1 lier for 100 km heck You cooler when its hot under the front cooler on the right/left side, the coolant was missing and the car was dry under, the leak was spotted on my parking lot, here it is

coolant leak

Oh! one more thing: i have LPG on board so the fuel problems can be caused by the LPG

Ive just noticed ive added the thread in wrong section, please move it to proper one, thanks

Last edited by M3ndoR; 03-20-2018 at 01:03 PM. Reason: bad category
Old 03-20-2018, 01:59 PM
Technical Moderator

The reason the remote start does not work is the "short to ground" regarding the hood ajar sensor. That is the hood latch, it is actually 2 switches one is "open" the other is "Not closed". Ether the sensor is broken or the wiring is bad.

My guess with those other codes is a combination of the LPG and a connection to the ECM.

I am guessing that someone diddled with the ECM connectors and either bent some pins or pushed a few out the back.

You might check fuse #33 under the hood.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:06 PM

Fuses are good ive cleaned them and replaced the old ones. Ive read that check egine and t/c came one when some coils on the engine are old/damaged, they are located just under the engine plastic cover, 2 of them one is for fuel income and the other one for exhaust.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:15 PM
Technical Moderator

That can happen, but not in this case. The O2 and MAF sensor codes are causing it.

If that leak is on the passenger side of the radiator it might be the drain valve leaking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HHR 2.4 LT after 5000 km, good