Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   HHR all stock, Sucks (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/hhr-all-stock-sucks-39806/)

solman98 03-07-2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 843de (Post 624196)
Your comment on letting it roll in neutral and not locking the steering column has me a bit confused, can you elaborate a bit on that?

I'm guessing he's shutting it off while going down the road and restarting. Not exactly safe.

I'll leave the rest of my thoughts in my head.....:lol:

07azhhr 03-07-2012 02:48 PM

3. Yes there have been issues with the power steering motors, and yes there was a recall in Canada, will it happen here...nope. Your comment on letting it roll in neutral and not locking the steering column has me a bit confused, can you elaborate a bit on that?

I think he is stating that he puts the car in neutral while still driving and cycles the key off then back to on to reset the PS motor. I did the same that one week I had the problem. As long as you are going straight and have no one in front of you that might stop short you will be ok in this situation. It just takes common sense in making sure you are in a safe location to do this.

MedMilt - like he said have your dealership put in a new power steering motor and you will not have any more issues with your power steering. I have a thread on here that lists the TSB numbers and usable replacement PS motor part numbers that will work to fix this issue.

For the gas milage I will add that if you are leaving your car idling for any excessive time then that will eat away at your milage. Driving habits can wreak havoc on milage as well. When I bought my hhr back in Oct I was only getting 23 mpg in the city as that is all I drive. BUT I changed my driving and was able to achieve 31 MPG in the city but I had to work hard to keep it there. I have now resorted to not worring about it again but am now maintaining 26 mpg's in the city. If I go back to driving like I still had my Mustang or turbo eclipse I go right back down to 23 mpg.

Putter 03-07-2012 03:43 PM

I have an '09. Since '09 I have put over 100,000 miles on it. Still running original brakes, original spark plugs, etc..... and I get 28-30mpg on the interstate every day running 75mph. Now if I go above that, the mileage drops almost 1-for-1.
I have a 155 mile roundtrip for work, not including any other detours I make.

Not a single problem. (now watch this sucker explode on the way home)

hyperv6 03-07-2012 04:14 PM

Hmmmm 6 post and one of them is just to complain?

Sounds like someone bought the wrong vehicle for the job.

Sounds like some hard use here like stated above.

My thought is you should have bought a truck.

firemangeorge 03-07-2012 04:20 PM

Don't know why, but these song lyrics keep popping into my head.
"One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch girl....." (The Osmonds?)

Sno White 03-07-2012 04:35 PM

843de has your answers in post #10. I use my 2009 HHR as a service vehicle as well and I’m happy with it – for the most part. I’ve had few problems, but nothing major and I’m interested in this new vehicle’s systems.

A service vehicle gets driven in short trips – thus the gas mileage is not high, as the engine may never get hot enough to burn fuel efficiently. The weight issue, as 843de said, is indeed an issue in my case.

I got rid of a Ranger for the HHR. Glad I did. Less money to purchase the vehicle and better gas mileage even with the extra weight.

drummerdude 03-07-2012 06:28 PM

i have a 2011 Panel that i use for tech work. i service copiers in a 2 hour radius of my house. i, on average, put on 200 miles a day. i carry parts and tools with no issues. i bought it in july 2011 and as of today rolled 36000. i'm very happy with the car. avg 28-30 mpg.

donbrew 03-07-2012 07:10 PM

Calm down MedMilt!

There is a 3 yr/36000 mile warranty from GM. Get the PS fixed (might be the under hood fuse box TSB)!

Average Mileage includes both town & highway, so unless you gas up while rolling you are going to get lowish hiway MPG. I do 200-300 miles a day average about 26 MPG city/hiway/rush hour, if I happen to get a 300 mile run, I get 32 MPG under 70 MpH. When I do a all day city route leaving the engine running at 100 stops over 150 miles, I get 21MPG, that is much better than my old Toyota P/U same job got 11MPG.

Door handles seem to be a problem for some people, OK you are nice to them, but what about the fools in the demo period. Demo does not mean drivers cared about the car!

badassbowtie 03-07-2012 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by MedMilt (Post 624181)
Hi I Bought my HHR back in jan.3 2011. it's a 2010 demo with 1300 miles on it.
I was so excited I mainly bought the car for work I can fit all of my tools and supply with room to spare. But boy what a disappointment it has turned out to be.
I work out in the field, Service tech. I drive an average of 60 to 80 miles a day. The gas millage that I get in this 4 banger sucks 18 to 21mpg city. highways is like 23/25mpg. My Vette aC5 does better! for crying out loud.

the inside door handle are plastic and many other parts, you may say "so what". but when it breaks off while you’re in a gas station and your left with this plastic P.O.S and open window to reach out to open the door it's not fun.

Now the power steering goes. I mean while your driving. I read that this is common and no recall. the fix is to replace the power steering motor. BUT That is hard to believe. this has happen to me more time than I care to count. now I just let the car roll put it in Nutral and turn the key to off. not locking it. the shifter prevents it from locking. I turn the key start her up and put it in drive and off I go. I think is more of an electrical issue. I don’t think that a car with 20566 miles should have this problem. I also had to replace one Steele right rim, dealer said it was bent and that this cause my hub failure. Mind you that they had to re-calibrate the steering sensor and re do my computer as per dealer.
I’m Not liking it. Now the thought has come to mind to sell and get out before the S**t really hits the fan. I guess that’s why GM stop making them.
Over Promise. what are your thoughts?

There are a lot of people on this forum who have over 100,000 miles and have had minimal or no problems. i put almost 40k on my first one and averaged 27 MPGs(2.4l). the only problem was a wheel hub being replaced(abs sensor). i get around 25 or so with my SS while still having fun with it. gas mileage is all about driving habits. if your saving time by hammering on the gas, to go from A to B, you'll see it when you track your mileage. if you have the 2.2 you should get at least 28 combined, even if its loaded with tools. the power steering is one of the only problems with the car, and a good chevy dealer will help you out.. Good Luck with your ride!

MedMilt 03-07-2012 08:54 PM

OK...lets go over your issues one at a time if we can.

1. You're a service tech and you carry your supplies and tools with you, its great that your HHR has the room you need to do that, but those tools and supplies weigh something....and carrying around cargo uses gas...plain and simple. Have you ever tried to figure out how many pounds of cargo you are always toting around with you?

1-A 120 lbs with parts and tools.

2. Those chromed inside door handles are just for opening the door, use the handhold in the armrest to close the door, if you use the chrome handle to pull the door closed...its going to break...just ask my wife about that. Fortunately Dorman makes a handle repair kit, that save giving your friendly Chevy dealer $300 for a new inner door panel.

2 A- Never use them to CLOSE the door only to open it.

3. Yes there have been issues with the power steering motors, and yes there was a recall in Canada, will it happen here...nope. Your comment on letting it roll in neutral and not locking the steering column has me a bit confused, can you elaborate a bit on that?

3-A,Sure, When Power Steering is lost if I'm on a high way I move to the right or right shoulder, let the car cost never coming to a stop. Very QUICKLY knock it into Neutral. turn the key counter clock one click. then start the motor up, shift into Drive and merge back into the road safely.

4. You bent a rim, that's going to happen on any vehicle if you nail a pothole or something on the road you didn't have time to react to. Can a bent rim eventually "take out" a hub, you betcha! The vibration and excess lateral runout will play havoc with a hub over time.

3 A- OK I'll give you that.

I see you only have 21,000 miles on your HHR, if your dealer isn't adequately addressing your problems, I suggest you "fire" them and try another dealer.

4 A- Still under warranty, You have to duplicate the problem for the Dealer. I don't think It can do that. BUT it's sure to happen everyday at least once on a good day.

Thank you for your help. and to all who posted I knew I was going to crash and burn here. but it's just the way I feel. Sorry to disappoint some of you. I don't drive over 80 and I keep it under 1800 RPM all the time this is my work wagon not my Vette. My money maker. Maybe down the road the HHR will make me feel better. matter of fact I feel better already.
Thanks guys for helping me understand.
Keep em coming