General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR all stock, Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:23 AM

HHR all stock, Sucks

Hi I Bought my HHR back in jan.3 2011. it's a 2010 demo with 1300 miles on it.
I was so excited I mainly bought the car for work I can fit all of my tools and supply with room to spare. But boy what a disappointment it has turned out to be.
I work out in the field, Service tech. I drive an average of 60 to 80 miles a day. The gas millage that I get in this 4 banger sucks 18 to 21mpg city. highways is like 23/25mpg. My Vette aC5 does better! for crying out loud.

the inside door handle are plastic and many other parts, you may say "so what". but when it breaks off while you’re in a gas station and your left with this plastic P.O.S and open window to reach out to open the door it's not fun.

Now the power steering goes. I mean while your driving. I read that this is common and no recall. the fix is to replace the power steering motor. BUT That is hard to believe. this has happen to me more time than I care to count. now I just let the car roll put it in Nutral and turn the key to off. not locking it. the shifter prevents it from locking. I turn the key start her up and put it in drive and off I go. I think is more of an electrical issue. I don’t think that a car with 20566 miles should have this problem. I also had to replace one Steele right rim, dealer said it was bent and that this cause my hub failure. Mind you that they had to re-calibrate the steering sensor and re do my computer as per dealer.
I’m Not liking it. Now the thought has come to mind to sell and get out before the S**t really hits the fan. I guess that’s why GM stop making them.
Over Promise. what are your thoughts?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

sell it and buy a ford.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 PM

Could be the user or you just got a bad one. On my second HHR and I have no problems at all on either of the two.

Last edited by tmerkle111; 03-07-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with the car, but at least some of your issues should be resolved by the warrant. You do still have warranty on the car, right? Use it and replace the PS motor before it gets worse. That is almost certainly the problem you are running into. As for the fuel mileage, the in-town figures sound about right but I would expect higher on the highway (assuming of course you aren't flying at over 80MPH).

And as for your number of issues, who knows how the HHR was treated before you got it. I had a few issues early on with my 08 but in the last couple years it has performed very well. Get the PS motor fixed and see if that helps you feel a bit better about the car.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Banned

I've had no problem with mine.. I also don't try and rip the door handle open. Being it is plastic it fatigues and breaks after a bit.. Pull lightly and that doesn't happen.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:46 PM

WoW!
I can say my 09LS has given me some small issues, but all were readily covered by Robert Chevrolet in Hicksville. I drive about 60 miles a day just going to Brooklyn & back, stuck in traffic both ways on the SS/Belt Parkway and my Mileage is usually 25.6 cumulative over several months. When pleasure driving with the family on mini vacations it hovers between 31-32 if we go out east or out of state. Adjust your driving habits and keep the rpms under 1800/2000 while on the highways.

Last edited by BlackknighT; 03-07-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:51 PM

I bought a 2006 2lt with 32,000 miles it was a 3 year lease turn, looked new I now have ove 55,000 miles the only problem was the VVT solenoids which I changed thanks to Whoppers detailed instructions, I have changede the rear shocks not because of any problums but becauseof age changed the front bushings and links because everyone was haveing problums I wasnt, I love the HHR still with original brakes, changed the OEM Firestones which were terrible.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:09 PM

We've had our 06 since November 05 without any of the problems you've listed.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:48 PM

I'm on my second and no major things to worry about. I had the lock issue, but had that replaced under warrenty.

"She's not a Camaro, or even a Vette. She is what she is, and I love her for that". I'm currently working on a HHR song. lol. Any song writters out there, who care to help? lol.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by MedMilt
Hi I Bought my HHR back in jan.3 2011. it's a 2010 demo with 1300 miles on it.
I was so excited I mainly bought the car for work I can fit all of my tools and supply with room to spare. But boy what a disappointment it has turned out to be.
I work out in the field, Service tech. I drive an average of 60 to 80 miles a day. The gas millage that I get in this 4 banger sucks 18 to 21mpg city. highways is like 23/25mpg. My Vette aC5 does better! for crying out loud.

the inside door handle are plastic and many other parts, you may say "so what". but when it breaks off while you’re in a gas station and your left with this plastic P.O.S and open window to reach out to open the door it's not fun.

Now the power steering goes. I mean while your driving. I read that this is common and no recall. the fix is to replace the power steering motor. BUT That is hard to believe. this has happen to me more time than I care to count. now I just let the car roll put it in Nutral and turn the key to off. not locking it. the shifter prevents it from locking. I turn the key start her up and put it in drive and off I go. I think is more of an electrical issue. I don’t think that a car with 20566 miles should have this problem. I also had to replace one Steele right rim, dealer said it was bent and that this cause my hub failure. Mind you that they had to re-calibrate the steering sensor and re do my computer as per dealer.
I’m Not liking it. Now the thought has come to mind to sell and get out before the S**t really hits the fan. I guess that’s why GM stop making them.
Over Promise. what are your thoughts?
OK...lets go over your issues one at a time if we can.

1. You're a service tech and you carry your supplies and tools with you, its great that your HHR has the room you need to do that, but those tools and supplies weigh something....and carrying around cargo uses gas...plain and simple. Have you ever tried to figure out how many pounds of cargo you are always toting around with you?

2. Those chromed inside door handles are just for opening the door, use the handhold in the armrest to close the door, if you use the chrome handle to pull the door closed...its going to break...just ask my wife about that. Fortunately Dorman makes a handle repair kit, that save giving your friendly Chevy dealer $300 for a new inner door panel.

3. Yes there have been issues with the power steering motors, and yes there was a recall in Canada, will it happen here...nope. Your comment on letting it roll in neutral and not locking the steering column has me a bit confused, can you elaborate a bit on that?

4. You bent a rim, that's going to happen on any vehicle if you nail a pothole or something on the road you didn't have time to react to. Can a bent rim eventually "take out" a hub, you betcha! The vibration and excess lateral runout will play havoc with a hub over time.

I see you only have 21,000 miles on your HHR, if your dealer isn't adequately addressing your problems, I suggest you "fire" them and try another dealer.

Quick Reply: HHR all stock, Sucks