General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

I got officially acquainted today

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:41 PM

I got officially acquainted today

Today was "the" day...mother nature finally gave us a break, and some dry roads, dry weather, and even some sunshine.

So nearly 2 weeks after purchase, I got formally acquainted with my DSM HHR.

a thorough bathing, some deatil work both inside, outside, and under the hood.

you see, I have the luxury of working with my GF's brother who owns a auto repair shop. It's where I store my race car, work on all my cars, and work in the afternoons helping him on customer's cars/his race car.

so...after the cleaning, I drove it up on the rack and got underneath it to see how it has been treated, and how all the under-chassis parts appear.

I decided to paint my muffler black because the view from behind is obnoxious...a rust-colored giant bread box muffler is not appealing, and certainly doesnt match my stainless exhaust tip

I used a can of Krylon BBQ Black...it is heat-proof...at least to any extent of the temperature a muffler would get. it goes on semi-gloss, and dries with heat to a dull black. Not a detail item...just sort of makes it invisible. You might try it if you're tired of looking at your brown muffler.

I found quite a few flaws in the body as well...much to my disappointment. Why is it that when a car is on a dealer's lot, it can look so clean, and flaws are almost impossible to spot?....until you bring it home and wash it yourself?

Oh well...I love my little Smoke wagon...flaws or no flaws...it's mine, and that's what counts.

so...polished exhaust tip, waxed exterior, clean underhood components, and no more nasty gray mud flaps...even they got treated to some rubber conditioner along with the step mats on my running boards.

It's official...Smoke wagon and i are in for the long haul. No exterior mods are planned just yet...I am going to enjoy this remarkable color for a while, uninterrupted. It's bright metallic silver in direct sunlight, but the shaded angles are a dark navy gray tone...

Oh...and I fixed my headliner rattle. I'll post about that next, in the "problems/service issues" forum.

and a quick old detailer's trick folks...that ugly brown dirt in your wheel wells?...use a can of either foaming tire shine, or aerosol tire dressing...spray the inner wheel-wells like you were painting them. it turns everything black and glossy, for that 'fresh' look...

of course, lowering the car and filling the wheel wells with tire is another way to go

pictures coming right up!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:04 PM

Nothing like a clean DSM.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:14 PM

I know what you mean about finding flaws...I bought mine used..bought it at night...now mind you it still looks great, but it was a previous rental car (I found out after purchase) and it has quite a few door dings...

But I am now giving it the TLC it deserves. I was inspired yesterday by all the folks that diligently cleaned their HHR's at the hot rod shop...I bought my duster and cleaning supplies today and will no longer go to a car wash.......
Old 01-13-2008, 07:18 PM

ok...pictures:and dont worry...those stains are from one of my other vehicles that leaked

first...stock muffler...painted black:

Here's how my wheels came out...

and a look at a detailed wheel well:

and last...a few pictures I just took when shooting the muffler/wheels.

sorry...boring...but like said above...a clean DSM...cant help but want to show pics:

my stock grille:Blingy

my HHR...dipped in chrome

and a few random shots-back at home, after a long day of pampering:

ok...enough images...sorry to bore ya.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Nice. Hey Smoke Wagon, did it come with the mud flaps? wonder if they are OEM. I have a DGM 08 2LT w/o the flaps and would like to get some.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:39 PM

Good Job, Smoke! I'm with you Dave--I was shamed, er, I mean inspired too by the folks shining up their rides and have a list of products to get.

Didn't the DGM replace the DSM?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
Nice. Hey Smoke Wagon, did it come with the mud flaps? wonder if they are OEM. I have a DGM 08 2LT w/o the flaps and would like to get some.

It came with them...I noticed today while cleaning the inside of them, that there is a GM tic-tac logo on the inside of them, and the HHR logo on the back, so they definate ARE GM merchandise.

guess i got lucky.

and you guys dont have to tell me about how it feels to see cars so clean and prepped for show-n-shine when you arrive. some of the shows I have been to, the owners never seem to STOP cleaning...lets admit it...it's a labor of love.

I can see that this HHR is going to take me a LOOOONG time to detail when I wash it. Oh the joys of having a car with a nice paint job, and plenty of chrome....
Old 01-14-2008, 06:21 PM

nice and clean
Old 01-14-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by SIRESMERPH
nice and clean
thanks!...well...not any more
the fog was so thick this morning, it was like driving in the rain, and sadly, my freshly detailed HHR is once again...a bit dirty.

Oh well...get to wash it again soon, right?