General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Ignition switch wiring diagram/pinout/color code.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 06:15 AM

Ignition switch wiring diagram/pinout/color code.

Hi everybody can anybody please help figure out which wire is which? I don't have access to a multimeter and i literally cant find a simplified view/diagram of the ignition switch wiring with the green plug. There are 5 wires total red/white which im sure is 12V constant? Not positive of that. then there is yellow, white and white/black the last one is brown. this is the most resourceful site when trying to figure out anything about our HHR's! So please help me here. BTW it's a 2008 LT 2.4L automatic.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

Why are you messing around with the ignition switch ? If you’re looking to “tap” into those wires, don’t. Good way to short something out. Especially if you don’t have a multi meter or test light.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Why are you messing around with the ignition switch ? If you’re looking to “tap” into those wires, don’t. Good way to short something out. Especially if you don’t have a multi meter or test light.
I want to install push start button
Old 09-28-2023, 09:12 AM

That is not the way to do it.
The ignition switch is a one wire digital sensor with a resistor to tell the BCM what to do. What had you imagined top do with the anti-theft?
Don't burn it down.
If you really think it will help:
Old 09-28-2023, 10:44 AM

I have 2 keys that work for the car and also have a immobilizer bypass module.Pretty much it's just a thing where you put your key in it. And it senses the the chip with coils or something.. idk the science behind it

Old 09-28-2023, 02:40 PM

If you don't own a multimeter, you're more likely to literally ruin your car than to get this right. Not exaggerating. I know just enough about this stuff to know it's way more complicated than most owners think.

If I wanted that thing installed (and I wouldn't,) I would take it to a highly reputable automotive sound shop, and pay whatever they ask. You may have to beg them. It will be money well spent.

( I am slightly familiar with that type of device. Some are used to hack aftermarket remote starts into late model cars that otherwise won't cooperate due the antitheft measures. Hence the reference to an audio shop, some of which I suspect make more money on remote starts in the Christmas season than they make in the entire year on audio, lol.)

Would care to more fully explain what problem you're trying to solve here?
Old 09-28-2023, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

I looked up that kit on Amazon. Goes for as cheap as $25. Chinese junk in my opinion.
The ad says that model # is only for push button start. It doesn’t do remote start or even unlock the doors. You would still need to carry the original remote and/or key to unlock the door.
With that push button kit you would have to carry 2 remotes. The original to get in the car and the new fob to start it.
Not seeing the reason for wanting this.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I looked up that kit on Amazon. Goes for as cheap as $25. Chinese junk in my opinion.
The ad says that model # is only for push button start. It doesn’t do remote start or even unlock the doors. You would still need to carry the original remote and/or key to unlock the door.
With that push button kit you would have to carry 2 remotes. The original to get in the car and the new fob to start it.
Not seeing the reason for wanting this.
well I lost my second remote so i have to use the key to open my door. And I can't use remote start because well you know duh. And honestly I never really used remote start. Obviously and I already got a new multimeter
Old 09-29-2023, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Beejmamdude
well I lost my second remote so i have to use the key to open my door. And I can't use remote start because well you know duh. And honestly I never really used remote start. Obviously and I already got a new multimeter
OK, so now I think I understand why you're doing this.

Getting a new remote (or 2 or 3) is not that expensive, and would be easier and less risky that continuing with that...thing.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:11 PM

Same person that lost keys and replaced the ignition switch from a junkyard instead of getting a key made from the VIN. I suspect there is a connection.

Quick Reply: Ignition switch wiring diagram/pinout/color code.