General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Joining the club

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:57 PM

Joining the club

Today I am driving a 1996 Olds Achieva. I bought it brand new in Jan. 96. Today it has over 158,000 miles on it. I've been searching for about the past year for a replacement. I have been having a hard time because I won't compromise. I have three requirements:

1) Must be an American Car. Not made in America but an American car. Toyotas may be made in the U.S. but in my book, they are Japanese cars.

2) It must fit. I am 6'3" and in the 245lb range. I sit in a Cobalt and my hair brushes the headliner. I take a 38 long.

3) It must have a manual transmission. I have several reasons for this. They are simpler, lighter, more power efficient and fuel efficient. Besides, I have always wanted one and when I purchased used cars, I always settled and then I would kick myself for not holding out. So, don't show me anything with an automatic.

I could not find anything. Cobalt, too small. Malibu, auto only. Challenger... I want FWD and too much money. Vette... No place to put my son, not practical, too much money. If they made a Monte Carlo with a stick I would have bought one in a heartbeat.

Two weeks ago I spotted the HHR. I wondered if it came with a stick. To my delight, it did! I did some research and looked around for a week or so.

Last Tuesday I found a local dealer had five in stock, one with a manual transmission. I clicked for my special "ePrice" and I submitted my name, e-mail and phone number. I clicked the send button. 30 seconds later my phone rang. I couldn't believe my ears. It was the same guy that sold me my Oldsmobile 13 years ago! He was now working for a different dealeship, he recongized my name and said, "You're not still driving the Achieva I sold you are you?" He couldn't believe I was still driving the thing. After catching up for a few I arranged to go look at the HHR.

I fell in love with it immediately. Plenty of room for me and the wife and the little one. Room to haul my bass and amplifier. It has a unique quality and is cool in a certain way. It has zippy performance and handles great. Although we almost got clipped by a semi when we were test driving it.

Tomorrow afternoon, I pick up the new addition to the family. I bid farewell to my Olds that I have driven for the last 13 years.

I welcome my new HHR. It is a 2009 LS in Cardinal Red Metallic. We're getting the running boards and the rear bumper protector. I wasn't overly thrilled with the look of the factory spoiler so we're not going to get that. Maybe I can find one that looks better.

I've been having a ball looking around this forum at the mods we can do and I'm making plans and looking forward to completing some and showing them off. Many of you name your HHRs, I'm thinking of calling ours "The Time Machine". We are all "Back to the Future" fans and with the 49 suburban lines it's appropriate.

My wife says, "Hi guys! Do you know you are all driving station wagons?"

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff90125; 03-29-2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:00 PM

GREAT Intro!
Welcome from the OC in SoCal and to the HHR familia!

Nice color choice and you will not be disappointed!
And these are mini-suburbans, not station wagons!

Let the mods begin!

@ngelita

Last edited by afs9; 03-29-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: splleing :P
Old 03-29-2009, 07:25 PM

Thanks @ngelita

That was a funny thing. I called my insurance agent to get a binder so I could pick up the HHR. She asked for the body style. I had to look on my paperwork because I didn't know. It's not a sedan, it's not an SUV... what is it? The paperwork says "4 door wagon". When I saw that I chuckled.

My wife is now referring to this forum as the "Station Wagon Support Group" She's too funny. She's been walking around the house for the past two days rolling her eyes and saying, "I can't believe I'm all excited to go and pick up our our new station wagon." She really is excited and she loves it.

I don't care if it is a station wagon. It's the coolest station wagon ever!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 PM

Tell her if she keeps calling it a station wagon we won't teach her the secret handshake.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:52 PM

My insurance agent at Allstate classifies it as a truck.
And I remind her that I have a truck (99 V6 S10), and does she really think it looks like it?!

Technically it is a mini-sports-utility (mini-ute).
w/e. It's just cute to me!

And yes, this place has been referred to as HHR-anonymous.

@
Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 PM

Funny thing about the HHR is most DMVs don't know what to call them. Maryland classifies them as a wagon yet anyone that knows Maryland law knows the stock tinted back window on the HHR doesn't meet Maryland vehicle code for a car (I wasn't telling them). If you look at the Chevy web site they list it under cars and SUVs, yet if you go to the "find one" part of the site they only list it as an SUV. Add to that the fact the panel only qualifies as a light truck not an SUV.

So I guess your wife can call it whatever she wants and still be right!

Just enjoy it........
Old 03-29-2009, 08:03 PM

Good luck with the new car. I believe Maryland calls it an SUV.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:25 PM

Mass class

I didn't think about that. Different states have different criteria for classifying vehicles. here in Massachusetts, if you have a van it might be a car and it might be a truck. It depends on the windows. If there are windows all the way around, it's a car. The HHR Panel would definitely be considered a truck. Since the standard HHR has four doors and no trunk it is a 4 door wagon.

In Maryland it matters if the rear window is tinted?

Weird...
Old 03-29-2009, 09:50 PM

No >>>No No station wagon... Been there done that... Of course I guess that is better than driving a "Yoder Toter" (van) like all my kids do....
anyway whatever the HHR is...your gonna love it... and
Old 03-29-2009, 09:55 PM

Welcome to the boards!!!

Quick Reply: Joining the club