General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Looking at a 2008 HHR LS 4DR

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 01:49 PM

Looking at a 2008 HHR LS 4DR

Hi all,

New to the forum as I am possibly looking at buying an 2008 HHR LS 4DR. Here is the link to the ad: 2008 Chevrolet HHR LS - Regency Motors Inc Davenport, IA 52806

I haven't seen it in person yet, just wanted to know of any possible issues or things in general to look for when I go see the car in person and test drive it. Also, the asking price seems to be fair after considering the KBB and NADA pricing, but I would throw a lower offer on the table if I became serious about it. Just wanted to know if there are any major known problems that could be possible at the stage and age the car is at.

Thanks for any advice given, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! Go and drive it! Clunks and bumps in the front end are common, and fairly easy to replace parts if your an average skilled wrench!
I would look for rust and corrosion at the bottom of the four doors and the lift gate.
If your able or allowed to get it up in the air look for corrosion along the brake lines and fuel lines.
In general this little trucklet will let you know if it likes you!
Old 04-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

X2 on Oldblue's comments.

Fwiw. It is a 8-9 year old car with close to 100k miles. With that mileage, it's going to have some "wear and tear" and worn parts. Hopefully the previous owner(s) kept up with the maintenance and any repairs pending.
Engine wise, these cars are good for many miles if maintained properly. Just listen for any unusual noises at startup and any visible fluid leaks.
Suspension wise, that car is at the mileage that parts may be worn. Struts and shocks would be needing replacement if the car still has the originals.
Swaybar bushings and swaybar end links are usually in need of replacement by now.
Take it for a test drive and listen, look,feel. Anything unusual should be checked before purchase.