General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Looks good but what a PITA

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:13 PM

Looks good but what a PITA

I started installing ebony seat covers today. I did one seat and it took 3.5 hours. I did reuse the hog rings. I don't know if new ones would have made it any easier or not. My fingers hurt even typing this. But I must say it dose look very nice no pics at this time, I will post when done. I'm going to order the ebony carpet this week.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ballplr
I started installing ebony seat covers today. I did one seat and it took 3.5 hours. I did reuse the hog rings. I don't know if new ones would have made it any easier or not. My fingers hurt even typing this. But I must say it dose look very nice no pics at this time, I will post when done. I'm going to order the ebony carpet this week.

I just put the perfomance seat cover on my passenger side in my SS this week and have the cuts to prove it.

If your going to do the entire interior look locally and get new rings and a good pair of hog ring plyers. You will be glad you did!

Reusing the old ones is insaine. The rings usally are not that expensive and are so much easier to cut off the old ones and reinsall as new.

If you were only going to do a base it is not as bad but for an entire interior I would go with new.

From the time I started to remove the passenger seat to install with the new bottom foam and cover only took me a little over an hour. I used the drivers seat cover and had to do a little custom work to make it fit correctly.

All in all it came out great.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 PM

yea I am looking to get pliers and new rings. But i dont know which pliers would be best
Old 02-08-2009, 09:21 PM

yea I am looking to get pliers and new rings. But i dont know which pliers would be best

Get the Hog ring pliers with the 45 degree bend. They will work in just about 98% of all cases. SO far they are the only ones I have ever needed. This was not my first attempt at seat covers.

Also you don't have to go big buck but watch some of the cheap pliers as they can be worn out after two seats. Some are that cheap. Or buy two pair to finish the whole interior.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:56 AM

random thoughtcould you use the padding from an ss seat in a non ss so you can put the ss covers in?
Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by masterchief1112
random thoughtcould you use the padding from an ss seat in a non ss so you can put the ss covers in?

On the seat bottoms yes you can. I am not sure on the seat back since I have not had those appart.

I would assume they are the same frame with only different padding?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:31 AM

Well after a couple weeks of cold weather and snow, it's going to be close to 70 today and sunday. So I am off to finish my seats and carpet Hope I can finish it all today but we will see. Pics later tonight.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:41 AM

Skip the hog rings and get small tie wraps and use them instead.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 AM

Well after a couple weeks of cold weather and snow, it's going to be close to 70 today and sunday. So I am off to finish my seats and carpet Hope I can finish it all today but we will see. Pics later tonight.

Please post the pictures. I would love to see it.

IF you have not gotten the new hog rings please do, as a good set of pliers and new rings will make it so much easier. It is a tough enough job with new rings. Using used rings is like using used staples.

Wire ties work in some area but they are not the best thing to use in high wear areas as nylon over time will rub and wear in some aread and let the cover get loose. Best to do it right the first time and not redo it 4 years later.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by 09 Panel
Skip the hog rings and get small tie wraps and use them instead.
You aren't serious, are you?

Quick Reply: Looks good but what a PITA