General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Map lights will not go off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:18 AM

Map lights will not go off?

Is this a common problem with the HHR's? My dad has an 06 HHR and the Map lights will not turn off. The only info. I can find with anyone else having this problem is that they had flipped the dash dimmer switch too far and it was causing the map lights to stay on...well that's not my problem. The dimmer switch is not turned too far. The lights in the rear are able to manually turned off but even if you push the buttons for the ones in the front they will not turn off.

I know I can cut the wires going to the mirror or pull the fuse, but I am looking to fix the problem not just make it go away. Does anyone have any experience with this? The only thing I can think of is that one of the door switches has failed. What is the procedure for checking those? Thanks for any advice or info.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:58 AM

The push buttons under the bottom of the mirror?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
The push buttons under the bottom of the mirror?
yes those are the buttons I am talking about. Those will not turn the lights off. We are able to turn the lights in the rear off, but not the map lights. Before the rear lights were staying on too, but those have been turned off.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:29 PM

Is the dimmer switch turned too far?

Never mind, I now see you are talking about an '06.

Last edited by GDZHHR; 07-09-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: didn't read before posting!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Founding Member

Could be the switch, a short to ground or the BCM.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:07 PM

Are you saying that they never go off or do you want to stop them from coming on at all when you open the door? When you get in the car and all doors are closed and you start the eng. they still are on? Also when all doors closed and key turned to run you can't push button on the bottom off mirror to turn off or on?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Is the dimmer switch turned too far?

Never mind, I now see you are talking about an '06.
The dimmer is not turned too far.

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Could be the switch, a short to ground or the BCM.

Which switch?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by cardana24

Which switch?
There are switches (door jamb) on each door frame opening. Try slamming the doors one at a time and you may find which one it is, if that is the problem.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by oneton
Are you saying that they never go off or do you want to stop them from coming on at all when you open the door? When you get in the car and all doors are closed and you start the eng. they still are on? Also when all doors closed and key turned to run you can't push button on the bottom off mirror to turn off or on?
I am saying the ladder. They do not go off when they should. Driving down the road at night is a real pain when they do not turn off. The only time they do turn off is when the car is turned off and it is parked. Then they turn off after the set 15 or 20 minutes.

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
There are switches (door jamb) on each door frame opening. Try slamming the doors one at a time and you may find which one it is, if that is the problem.
What is the procedure for testing them with a multi meter? I can probably figure it out if I just have some sort of wiring diagram.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by cardana24
I am saying the ladder. They do not go off when they should. Driving down the road at night is a real pain when they do not turn off. The only time they do turn off is when the car is turned off and it is parked. Then they turn off after the set 15 or 20 minutes.

What is the procedure for testing them with a multi meter? I can probably figure it out if I just have some sort of wiring diagram.
So every time you drive your car they stay on?

The reason they go out after 20 minutes is that your battery run down protection that is built into the BCM program is shutting them off. Eventually this is going to take out your battery. They should slowly dim soon after shutting the last door when exiting the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Map lights will not go off?