General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

MPG & Maintenance Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:20 AM

MPG & Maintenance Questions

Hello all.. new to the website and HHR's as well. I work for a large furniture company in the southwest, and am looking to change the vehicles that our In Home Furniture Repair Service Technicians use. Currently, we switched from Ford F150's to Ford Rangers to save on fuel. Turns out, the fuel savings was not that much, and the maintenance costs went though the roof! This was not a wise choice of action. Fortunately, the decision to make that switch was not mine. Which brings me to my questions.. I am doing a cost analysis on the HHR Panel's to see if it would be a viable solution for us. The initial cost of the vehicle is definately within target, but I need answers on the fuel comsumption and maintenance. We would be purchasing the 2.2L vehicles, and probably automatics. But would love average fuel comsumption (MPG) on both the stick and manual 2.2's. Real world numbers, not window sticker fugures. Secondly, how soon are you guys doing brake jobs, and if you are doing it yourself, what is the average costs for the pads, etc. Are you experiencing any other maintenance issues? Any info you HHR owners can give me the better. I am hoping the day to day reliability will be good, because a fleet of 10 HHR Panels is definately the course I would like to take.
Thanks again for your time. Greatly look forward to your responses.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 AM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 15
Size:  38.2 KB

The average MPG for both the 2.2 and the 2.4 seem to range all over the place, from low 20s to 30 MPG.
As far as the brakes go, it is common knowledge that plenty HHRs have been back numerous times to get the brakes resurfaced by the dealers.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 AM

I've been driving 100% city since purchase & averaged 23 mpg. This include gas wasted with the remote starter, and at Lexington's outrageously long red lights!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:58 AM

Gas mileage is good IMO, and I have just had the brakes resurfaced once(warranty repair). How much weight will your repair people be carrying around? If it's significant, it will affect mileage, and the HHR does not have the capability/suspension to haul huge amounts of weight in the back.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:02 AM

You would probably be happier with the 2.4 l engine. The fuel milage isn't that different. I just switched to synthetic oil and am getting 2 - 3 mpg more now. Brakes are an issue with mine and others but are covered by chevy. Regular maintenance is a must for any vehicle. Also, I have noticed on fleet vehicles that keeping the same driver in the same car is benificial. Changing drivers and their habits seem to increase wear on a car. It will also let you figure out who is driving your cars too hard. I get about 30 mpg on my 2.4 auto.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 AM

I know you said "in home repair" but is there ever times when you may have to haul something that otherwise would of fit in a small pickup that will not now fit into the HHR. In that case you would be wise to kept a pickup truck for those "just in case".
Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM

We would only have tools in the back. I carry roughly 5 standard size tool boxes.. so weight will NOT be a problem. Parts that customers need, get mailed directly to the customers home.. we do not haul around a lot of parts. I would think less than 150 lbs in the back. The reason for the 2.2L, is that cost is a factor in purchasing the vehicle. And the 2.4 just pushes the price point up to far. As for the brakes, I assume the resurfacing is due to the rotors warping?? When is the vehilce needing the tyical brake job, pads replaced. The F150's we used to use could go almost 40,000 miles before needing a brake job, the Rangers on the other hand, are wearing out every 15,000-18,000 miles! And mileage figures.. city driving can I count on 23-25? Keep the info coming.. I really appreciate it!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:18 AM

Back and forth to work about 8 miles each way - moderately hilly - suburban/city driving - 2.4 auto. '06 2LT 20-21 regularly with 87 octane. The brake problems were on the '06's (and yes it was warpage) don't know if that is still an issue. I only have 12,000 mi. on mine, havent had to do brakes yet.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by AshleyHHR
As for the brakes, I assume the resurfacing is due to the rotors warping?? When is the vehilce needing the tyical brake job, pads replaced.
Yes, warping of the rotors is very common. Some have had to get theirs resurfaced in less than 10K, and multiple times within 50K. Others like myself had not had this problem at all.....going on 30K and 3+ years.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:38 AM

I think you could expect 20-23MPG in city driving. What are you getting with the Rangers?

Quick Reply: MPG & Maintenance Questions