General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

My baby is WOUNDED!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:44 PM

My baby is WOUNDED!!!!!

Yep...I guess it was inevitable...but it's still a shock when it happens...the first major damage to my poor HHR! This news will no doubt be music to the ears of a few people on this site.

Anyway.... I was driving through downtown Niagara Falls, NY this afternoon when this other car JUMPED in front of me and I t-boned him (it was a Hyundai Santa Fe). Tropicar sustained a severely crushed front bumper cover but not much else (unless you count my vintage Key West license plate topper that snapped in two with the impact). The Hyundai ended up with front wheels that now want to go in two different directions and had to be towed away. I was able to drive away with no difficulty. So...Monday she's going into the shop for repairs and I'll be $500 poorer.

It coulda been worse but still.....Damn!
Attached Images   
Old 08-15-2008, 03:50 PM
jx3

Hope everyone's OK!
Old 08-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Doc....sorry to hear this.

But after the car is in the shop and your home....have a nice "long ash" and forget about it. It's a car, even though at times, we treat them like a member of the family.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:44 PM

HOLY $H!TBALLS!

Glad you're okay and the car's repairable ... damn, it's too bad about the license topper.

Though it does say something about the durability of domestic vehicles vs. the lack of same on Korean imports that you can drive away from that while the Santa Fe (1 1/2 times the size) has to be towed.

Still, hope you're back on the road soon and still coming to the plant next month, we'll surely miss you if you can't. Speedy recovery for Tropicar.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 PM

I feel for you as I went through the same thing not long ago.

I lost the front bumper, Condenser, Intercooler, Radiator [bent but not broken and a rear bumper. It is going to be an easy fix and I am glad his insurance is paying as I expect the final total is going to be over $6,000.

But I was unhurt, the chassis was not damaged and now sheetmetal was bent.

Did your aiurbags go off? I lost the one in the steering wheel and also the seat belts locked with the gas charges ans need to be replaced. That was $15000 right there.

I hope the insurance company and body shop are as easy to deal with as mine have been. It has taken a tough deal and made it easy to deal with. I just want mine back and they are look at the end of next week.

I only had mine 3 days and just got a taste of it and I want it back bad.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:25 PM

Thanks guys! Looks like the only damage is to the bumper cover. The radiator, condenser, everything under the hood and behind the grill is totally intact. No airbag employment on either car (thankfully!) and no injuries. Of course, I was only traveling about 5 MPH at the time. Don, you're right about the US car vs Korean. It's obvious my HHR had stronger "bones" than the Hyundai. I expect the repairs will be done well before the Powertrain show next month...but I may be minus the license topper unless I can figure out a way to repair it or find another one. Snoop, you must have been reading my mind because I have an appointment out on the back deck with one of Mr. Padilla's fine hand-rolled products in about 10 minutes!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

I'm glad to hear that, Doc.

Is it not amazing how you can sit on a porch, have a GOOD stick....maybe a glass of the grape or a taste of a liquid that comes from charred oak barrel and watch the world go by, with little care.

Non belivers...most people. But man, I sure belive in it.

Take EXCEPTIONAL care....Snoopster
Old 08-16-2008, 06:42 AM

Sticks and Stones...

Hope the the glue works for the HHR.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I'm glad to hear that, Doc.

Is it not amazing how you can sit on a porch, have a GOOD stick....maybe a glass of the grape or a taste of a liquid that comes from charred oak barrel and watch the world go by, with little care.

Non belivers...most people. But man, I sure belive in it.

Take EXCEPTIONAL care....Snoopster

The only way to fly!!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:14 AM

Every cloud has a silver lining........with the front end being replaced, this would be a great time to install factory style fog lights!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...d=p3911.c0.m14

Quick Reply: My baby is WOUNDED!!!!!