General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

My HHR buying experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:05 AM

A lot of this just sounds like Kingfrog stroking his ego.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Maybe up in Canada these cars are selling themselves and getting the asking price, Jim. But frankly, anyone here in the States would be crazy to pay "sticker" or anything close to it. Dealers are essentially giving them away, as far as any relationship to MSRP (but they will try to "sting" you for whatever they can). Most of the sales are for far less then MSRP and the dealer gets an unadvertised incentive from GM to deplete the 07 inventories. That's probably one of the many reasons why GM vehicles have very little resale value (except in certain areas for specific models).

And I hate to sound like a conspirator, but as crafty has mentioned so many times, GM is not going to spend 10's or 100's of millions of dollars advertising a vehicle they make very little profit on. The lack of advertising probably does have something to do with the HHR's lack of identity and the surplus 07's and, I'm told, a few 06's in the dealers lots (and the 08's are out).
Exactly. these cars although we like them are not flying off the lots.
Deals $6000 below MSRP are apparently not uncommon. Rebates included.

One of the reasons I bought the car is because it is not popular and in that is a great value used. As are KIAs, Hyundais and a host of other cars that are not popular or have a long gone negative stigma attached.

There is no way I would buy this car at new car prices when second hand they are such a great value Yeah Dealers will put $18000 on the window. LOL
They will stand pat and make you think $14000 is far off the mark. At the end of the day if they want to move a car they can and will part with it. You just cannot be "in love" with the car in their eyes.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
A lot of this just sounds like Kingfrog stroking his ego.
That comment reeks of bitterness and may indicate you may have paid too much for your 07.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
That comment reeks of bitterness and may indicate you may have paid too much for your 07.
No, your retort reeks of a nerve being struck. You launched a braggatory post about what a shrewd buyer you are, even though you laid down the highlights of your deal in your first forum post a month ago right after you purchased. You weren't content with your original Reader's Digest version, so you felt the need to trumpet a longer one a month later. That's cool, whatever makes you feel good, maybe it even shined some light for any potential buyers out there lurking our forum. If so, great. But it still reeks of self-congratulatory ego stroking.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
No, your retort reeks of a nerve being struck. You launched a braggatory post about what a shrewd buyer you are, even though you laid down the highlights of your deal in your first forum post a month ago right after you purchased. You weren't content with your original Reader's Digest version, so you felt the need to trumpet a longer one a month later. That's cool, whatever makes you feel good, maybe it even shined some light for any potential buyers out there lurking our forum. If so, great. But it still reeks of self-congratulatory ego stroking.

And?

That "bothers" you....why?

I am very proud of the deal I made and really like the car. I congratulate Me for making a good deal and decided to share it in detail for others who may care.. I really hope others can make an even better deal and know they can get this car for far less then "advertised." Sorry you apparently did not......Sour grapes is never attractive man. Lighten up and enjoy the ride.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:27 PM

Kingfrog, While I agree with you on the premise of "buy used and save money", I have to disagree with you on the way you are basically bashing people for buying new on this board. If everone purchased used and nobody purchased new, we would all still be driving model T's.

I also disagree with your assertion that their is little demand for the HHR. From what I have read, the HHR has exceeded sales estimates for both years that it has been produced. I somehow doubt that GM would throw the cash at developing an SS version of the HHR if it were underperfoming sales wise. Maybe I'm wrong.

We get it. You are an evangelist of the used car. A born again car buyer looking to spread the faith. You got a deal that I honestly am jealous of. GOOD FOR YOU! Now shut up and play nice with the other kids already.

And change your damn avatar too. It's just plain creepy
Old 09-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
Kingfrog, While I agree with you on the premise of "buy used and save money", I have to disagree with you on the way you are basically bashing people for buying new on this board. If everone purchased used and nobody purchased new, we would all still be driving model T's.

I also disagree with your assertion that their is little demand for the HHR. From what I have read, the HHR has exceeded sales estimates for both years that it has been produced. I somehow doubt that GM would throw the cash at developing an SS version of the HHR if it were underperfoming sales wise. Maybe I'm wrong.

We get it. You are an evangelist of the used car. A born again car buyer looking to spread the faith. You got a deal that I honestly am jealous of. GOOD FOR YOU! Now shut up and play nice with the other kids already.

And change your damn avatar too. It's just plain creepy
Rather then annointing yourself the great defender of all, why not just ignore posts you don't care for. You have not really read bashing words if you believe Im bashing anyone. LOL. One thing you can expect from me is honest and blunt opinion. I will goe to the ends of the earth to help someone buy a car riight. Along with that I will be honest and forthcoming regarding my opinions and experiences. I suggest those who find them of no use ignore them as I ignore those posts I find of no interest.

I believe Chevy is releasing an SS version BECAUSE the HHR needs a boost as opposed to "it's selling so well lets spend some more R&D money on it"

They have the tooling in place and need to recoup the design expenses and are hoping to keep it alive until 2009 when its modern replacement is scheduled.

The Avatar stays...
Old 09-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
I believe Chevy is releasing an SS version BECAUSE the HHR needs a boost as opposed to "it's selling so well lets spend some more R&D money on it"

They have the tooling in place and need to recoup the design expenses and are hoping to keep it alive until 2009 when its modern replacement is scheduled.

The Avatar stays...
KingFrog.....

For what it's worth........the marketing people used to tell me this very example. Vehicle is selling only mediocre,..... introduce a new "special" (ala, Spring Edition, Fall Edition, etc.) to stimulate interest. And as, you stated most if not all of the tooling is in place. So the investment is next to nothing and it will generate sales to potential customers who had ONLY THE SLIGHEST OR NO intention of purchasing a vehicle of that nature.

Now the SS DOES HAVE investment time/money in it. Slightly different...but the same concept.....stimulate sales for essentially a slow mover (oh, even with the turbo engine the vehicle will get great mileage.....which is averaged into the TRUCK line).
Old 09-24-2007, 05:24 PM

For reference, Jesterfrog, my HHR deal worked out to below invoice, given what current book value was on my trade. I'm sure you'll call "BS", though, because you seem to covet the title of all time best car wheeler dealer, but whatever. Undoubtedly your deal was better, due to buying pre-owned, but for those of us that prefer to buy new and don't mind paying a couple grand for the privilege, that does not remove the ability to strike a tight deal.

When it comes to competing, braggery over car deals is not my proving ground, so sir, you may now have the last word as I am exiting this thread.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snoopy
KingFrog.....

For what it's worth........the marketing people used to tell me this very example. Vehicle is selling only mediocre,..... introduce a new "special" (ala, Spring Edition, Fall Edition, etc.) to stimulate interest. And as, you stated most if not all of the tooling is in place. So the investment is next to nothing and it will generate sales to potential customers who had ONLY THE SLIGHEST OR NO intention of purchasing a vehicle of that nature.

Now the SS DOES HAVE investment time/money in it. Slightly different...but the same concept.....stimulate sales for essentially a slow mover (oh, even with the turbo engine the vehicle will get great mileage.....which is averaged into the TRUCK line).
I believe we are saying the same thing. The SS and the associated Motor Trend etc articles may put the HHR in the press enough to stimulate more interest. Just enough to squeeze another couple years out as they begin tooling for the non retro replacement.

I think these cars are too much of a "secret" as far as the shear utility of them
. The look makes people think it's a novelty car for young kids and "older kids"

Its a better soccer mom vehicle on all fronts then a mini van though. It's a shame people looking for a roomy wagon will likely buy a Vibe or KIA Sportage before the HHR.

Quick Reply: My HHR buying experience