General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

New General Altimax HP tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:58 PM

Post New General Altimax HP tires

Put some new tires on my Riviera recently so I thought I'd write a review to help anyone who is shopping... For some reasonably priced grand touring all-season tires I would highly recommend these. I'm not sure I would put them on my HHR SS as I don't think they are what I would consider a performance or high-speed tire, but for a HHR LS or LT I would think they'd be a great tire!

I found this brand-new set of 4 on Craigslist locally here for just $60 ea! I see they go for about $83 + ship. at the Tire Rack where I usually buy my tires so I feel I got a great deal. You can see on the ratings it got on their survey and testing it did very well, and I always use this as an aid when tire shopping. I will say I am really impressed with the way they handle in heavy rain or standing water as they seem to channel away water and prevent hydo-planing very well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Altimax+HP

Have had them on the Riv for about 3 months now and 4K mi. Plenty of snow and ice and they are much better than the OEM Michelin Symetry or the BFG Traction TAs I had on previously. Very smooth, quiet riding tire also. I think the Traction TA's handled a little better in corners as the had a stiffer sidewall and they looked like more of a performance tire... but I think these look pretty decent on "Elvira" and overall I am much happier with the ride.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:26 PM

I put the Altimax tires on my wife's Freestyle in May of last year. After about 8-9K miles I am also very pleased. The Altimax is quiet and handles well. They would make good replacements for the LS or LT HHR's. For the SS, General makes the Exclaim UHP for higher performance and that's what I put on my SS when one of the stock tires developed a huge bulge.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:35 PM

I have the Exclaim UHP on my Charger...it is a very good tire and almost a 2/3 price savings over the stock tires...
Old 01-31-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by CDS31MC
I have the Exclaim UHP on my Charger...it is a very good tire and almost a 2/3 price savings over the stock tires...
Yes, I found the Exclain UHP here and it does come in the 225/45 ZR18 for just $111 + shipping! Seems like a logical replacemnet choice for me!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Exclaim+UHP

Those will definitely be in my sights when i get the HHR back on the road in spring. My original Michelins are looking pretty thin! Thanks for the tip guys!
Old 01-31-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by CarlsSS
Yes, I found the Exclain UHP here and it does come in the 225/45 ZR18 for just $111 + shipping! Seems like a logical replacemnet choice for me!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Exclaim+UHP

Those will definitely be in my sights when i get the HHR back on the road in spring. My original Michelins are looking pretty thin! Thanks for the tip guys!
Tire rack claims that the UHP's are not recommended for winter driving, but I find them pretty similar to the stockers in snow/ice capability. They are rated as A/S tires by General.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 PM

I put two Altimax HPs on the rear back in the fall-about 4,000 miles ago-No complaints at all-especially the price.
Two are going on the front sometime next month..
Old 02-02-2010, 07:04 PM

I have 15,000 miles on my Altimax HP's. No complaints at all. They transformed the car over the stock Firehawks.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by photojoed80
I have 15,000 miles on my Altimax HP's. No complaints at all. They transformed the car over the stock Firehawks.
This is good news! I am definitely feeling I made a good choice in these tires. I mentioned it to the wife again tonight as we were driving and she agreed, the Buick rides so much smoother.

I definitely am going to be checking into those General Exclaim UHPs for my SS next summer as they look like a great tire for the price as well.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:23 PM

Question

Originally Posted by Kinison_fan
I put two Altimax HPs on the rear back in the fall-about 4,000 miles ago-No complaints at all-especially the price.
Two are going on the front sometime next month..
I just checked all 4 tires on my 10 HHR LS, the tires that have been on it since I've bought it used from the Chevy dealer are Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring 215/55R16 93H. Car has a little over 69,000 miles on it now and had about 36,000 when I got it from the dealer. Had it at dealer for oil change at around 66,000 miles and they said the front tires needed replaced. I asked how the rears looked and they said they were ok. Should I just replace the front 2 tires with the General Altimax HP 215/55R16 H speed rated and just wait till the rear Uniroyals go bad?
Old 06-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

I would change them all, sounds like they have given good service.

Quick Reply: New General Altimax HP tires