General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

New to HHR from PT Cruiser.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:10 AM

New to HHR from PT Cruiser.

Howdy.
I had a 2001 PT Cruiser. It was trouble free for seven years. I would have gotten another but Chrysler ruined it with a redesign.
Anyway, so I went to the HHR (2008 2.4 2LT). I like it, but I have a few nit-picks maybe you can comment on.

Using the air recirculation automatically turns on the AC. What if I dont want AC and I dont want outside air? There's no way to recirculate inside air without the AC? What if I want heat recirculated? AC would kind of hinder that.

I had Bosch Platinum+2 spark plugs in the Cruiser and it helped fuel economy noticably. I want to put them in the HHR as well. However I cant find them for the "P" engine. Anyone here using them?

When I lock the door with the door switch the lock symbol on the dash does not come on. If I use the remote it does. The doors lock either way, but does using the door switch not turn on the alarm?

How reliable to you find the MPG information in the DIC?

Bigger car, less interior space.

Of course, I find out about the recall a week after I buy one.

Anyway, I like the car it's just different.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:11 AM

Okay!
First Welcome!!!
Second Where In Florida are you?
Third Oh did I say Welcome?
Old 02-23-2008, 05:54 AM

Wecome to the site!!

the alarm arms immediately if you use the remote, a 30 sec delay if you use the door switch. this alarm will tell you if there has been interior intrusion ( read your owners manual ). If you use your key to unlock the door, the alarm will sound until you start the car.

enjoy your new ride!!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:03 AM

Welcome. I have an 08 2Lt also and have only filled up twice but the dic has been within 1 mpg of actually mpg. Read post #6 of this thread about the Bosch plugs. It is in the 2.2L threat put the post has to do with the 2.4L https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=sparkplugs
Old 02-23-2008, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Armadillo
Howdy.
I had a 2001 PT Cruiser. It was trouble free for seven years. I would have gotten another but Chrysler ruined it with a redesign.
Anyway, so I went to the HHR (2008 2.4 2LT). I like it, but I have a few nit-picks maybe you can comment on.

Using the air recirculation automatically turns on the AC. What if I dont want AC and I dont want outside air? There's no way to recirculate inside air without the AC? What if I want heat recirculated? AC would kind of hinder that.

This happens only when you choose either floor/defrost, defrost, floor. Does not happen for dash only. May not happen with floor/dash, don't remember.

I had Bosch Platinum+2 spark plugs in the Cruiser and it helped fuel economy noticably. I want to put them in the HHR as well. However I cant find them for the "P" engine. Anyone here using them?

Try a search in the 2.4 performace section. There are some who are using other brands of plugs.

When I lock the door with the door switch the lock symbol on the dash does not come on. If I use the remote it does. The doors lock either way, but does using the door switch not turn on the alarm?

How reliable to you find the MPG information in the DIC?

I have found it to be very close in our two HHRs.

Bigger car, less interior space.

I am very happy with interior space. I've never owner a PT and I know that it technically has a foot or two more interior space, but, I think the cargo area is much larger in the HHR, and I think there is more leg room in nthe back seat.

Of course, I find out about the recall a week after I buy one.

Anyway, I like the car it's just different.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:22 AM

WELCOME!

2 suggestions to make your driving experience even BETTER!

1) Install a rear sway bar.

2) Get rid of the Firestone tires and get some Michelin, Bridgestones or Yokos.

When you do these 2 things you won't believe how the HHR handles.

Also, if you have the side airbags, you are exempt from the recall.

Now...where are the pics??
Old 02-23-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Animagus
Wecome to the site!!

the alarm arms immediately if you use the remote, a 30 sec delay if you use the door switch. this alarm will tell you if there has been interior intrusion ( read your owners manual ). If you use your key to unlock the door, the alarm will sound until you start the car.

enjoy your new ride!!
This is a feature...the "last one out" function of it allows the driver to hit the lock button, but allow a passenger (front or back) time to exit the vehicle before it kicks in.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:43 AM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 54
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!! The interior room of the HHR and the PT are almost identical with the exception of luggage capacity where the HHR wins out.

HHR Interior
Front Head Room: 39.6 in. Front Hip Room: 50.1 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 53.5 in. Rear Head Room: 39 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 52.7 in. Rear Hip Room: 50.6 in.
Front Leg Room: 40.6 in. Rear Leg Room: 39.5 in.
Luggage Capacity: 25.2 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 63 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5

PT Cruiser Interior
Front Head Room: 39.2 in. Front Hip Room: 50.1 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 53.8 in. Rear Head Room: 39.5 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 53.6 in. Rear Hip Room: 46.7 in.
Front Leg Room: 40.6 in. Rear Leg Room: 40.9 in.
Luggage Capacity: 21.6 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 63 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5
Old 02-23-2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Armadillo
From the owners manual:

(Recirculate): Press this button to prevent outside
air and odors from entering your vehicle or to help heat or
cool the air inside your vehicle more quickly. An indicator
light above the symbol will come on in this mode. The air
conditioning compressor also comes on.
This mode is not
available for floor, defog and defrost modes.
When the
recirculation button is pressed, the recirculation indicator
light will flash five times and outside air will be delivered.
Operation in this mode during periods of high humidity
and cool outside temperatures may result in increased
window fogging. If window fogging is experienced, select
the defrost mode.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the info and the hellos everyone. I look forward to learning more about my car and chatting.
Gas mileage is very good. I have 336 miles on it, in mixed driving, and only burned 3/4 tank of gas.

For karen1953- I'm in Tampa.
For MWG2- I have the sport suspension and stabilitrak, and it handles better than the PT. I'll probably put some Cooper tires on it. They were good on the PT.

Black Rose, I saw that in the owners manual. It still dosnt answer my question about what if I dont want AC in Recirculate? Maybe I'm just dense.

Quick Reply: New to HHR from PT Cruiser.